1984 Shopsmith 500 jigsaw question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jaxtell
Silver Member

1984 Shopsmith 500 jigsaw question

Post by jaxtell »

Greetings,
We recently purchased a ShopSmith model 500 with many accessories and all work except the jigsaw. The drive seemed to be in a bind. I took the drive apart and the yoke is okay and the shaft did not seem to be bent.

I noticed in the top portion where the shaft moves up and down, there were two "sleeves" or bushings (about ~1/4" tall each) stacked on top of each other inserted and the oil seal was damaged. One of the bushings was hanging down past the casting into the oil chamber. I did not see on the manual any bushings used on the top part.

Ignorantly :) , I thought this might be the issue so I pressed it up into the cast iron housing, but it did not solve the binding issue.

Also is there a source or a substitute for the oil seal?

Thanks,
jerry
Spooner
Gold Member

Re: 1984 Shopsmith 500 jigsaw question

Post by Spooner »

Can you get pictures and post them by chance?

When it binds... is it on the upward stroke or the downward stroke?
jaxtell
Silver Member

Post by jaxtell »

Spooner wrote:Can you get pictures and post them by chance?

When it binds... is it on the upward stroke or the downward stroke?
Seems to be on the upstroke. I can take a picture or two this evening.

I'm thinking I should be able to turn it by hand and have not hooked it to the power head.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You should be able to turn it, the drive shaft, by hand.

The upper oil seal is part number 502266 and may not show in some parts diagrams since the housing would come as an assembly. Most of the Jig Saw parts are no longer available new from Shopsmith. I have not seen anyone selling just the oil seal but you may be able to buy a Jig Saw housing for a replacement. Jig Saw parts do come up for sale at online auctions. If you find one ask the seller about its condition. Does the drive shaft turn freely and the lower chuck shaft move up and down without issue. You don't want to buy a new problem or the same one. First you may want to do a little more checking on the one you have. Try to find what is causing it to bind. It may be a simple fix if your lucky. Some disassembly may be needed to check it out.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jaxtell
Silver Member

Post by jaxtell »

Okay, so I got busy building a shelf for my Shopsmith and didn't take a picture of the crankcase of the Jigsaw. So, I borrowed and image from the forum, and marked the bushing or sleeve I was talking about. There were two in the upper part where the arrow is pointing, with a gap between the two.
Jigsaw gasket and crankcase.jpg
Jigsaw gasket and crankcase.jpg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
JigsawHousingExpl.jpg
JigsawHousingExpl.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
I didn't see the bushing indicated in the exploded parts diagram as it does for the lower part of the case. So I pressed it up into the housing, closing the gap. This made it more free, but still did not get rid of the issue. I should be able to get back on it this weekend. I found a seal, indicated elsewhere on the forum from Amazon. National Seal part number 314267N.

Keep posting ideas, I'll keep updating my progress! Thanks for your help!

Jerry
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jaxtell wrote:Okay, so I got busy building a shelf for my Shopsmith and didn't take a picture of the crankcase of the Jigsaw. So, I borrowed and image from the forum, and marked the bushing or sleeve I was talking about. There were two in the upper part where the arrow is pointing, with a gap between the two.
$matches[2]JigsawHousingExpl.jpg

I didn't see the bushing indicated in the exploded parts diagram as it does for the lower part of the case. So I pressed it up into the housing, closing the gap. This made it more free, but still did not get rid of the issue. I should be able to get back on it this weekend. I found a seal, indicated elsewhere on the forum from Amazon. National Seal part number 314267N.

Keep posting ideas, I'll keep updating my progress! Thanks for your help!

Jerry
"77" is the casting, so is not "50" the part in question?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jaxtell
Silver Member

Post by jaxtell »

Yes, part 50 oil seal (substitute) is the one I ordered. Hopefully National Seal part number 314267N will work. I'll update as soon as I get the part and get back to the repair.

I also removed and checked the shaft and it didn't seem to be bent.

Thanks,
jerry
jaxtell
Silver Member

Post by jaxtell »

A quick update...
I haven't gotten back on this yet, but found one used for $40 and it works perfectly!