A Couple of Weeks in the Shop

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

A Couple of Weeks in the Shop

Post by JPG »

Not a woodworking project, but using the SS to make a thingie for the SS.

First I had to drag out(find) the drafting instruments that were originally my grandfather's.
Used the compass to perform some elementary school geometry. Divide a circle into 6 segments.
Then bisect two adjacent points and project 5 more points between the original points No I am NOT making a clock face! :D .
qa1.jpg
qa1.jpg (482.72 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Then attach the 'drawing' onto a MVII 10" sanding disk using "77" sticky stuff and a 5/8" shaft to center it.
qa 2.jpg
qa 2.jpg (358.15 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Place a piece of 3/4 " plywood on the way tubes, then set a 12" sanding disk on top and temporarily clamp it all to the way tubes.
qa 3.jpg
qa 3.jpg (491.91 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Insert a 5/8" shaft into the 12" sanding disk hub and slip the 10" sanding disk onto the shaft above it.
qa 4.jpg
qa 4.jpg (386.07 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
On the top end of the shaft, place a molder arbor. That other thing is the intended victim( a 5/8id x 1 1 /8od x 1/2" unplated collar with 5/16-18 tapped set screw hole).
qa 5.jpg
qa 5.jpg (285.37 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Next make an alignment tool by cutting the head off a bolt and filing a reduced diameter 'nubbin' on the other end of the bolt.
qa 6.jpg
qa 6.jpg (429.15 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
The purpose of the nubbin is to allow the bolt to tighten against the bottom of the keyway on the molder arbor shaft and not press against the threads on the arbor.
qa 7.jpg
qa 7.jpg (310.06 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
This shows the nubbin after the collar(the victim) is installed. The bolt aligns all this stuff and the plywood, sanding disk is positioned after the arbor nut is installed. Then all the clamps are secured.
qa 8.jpg
qa 8.jpg (469.76 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
This piece of tape(with a barely discernible hole) is centered on the back top of the belt cover. More about these red lines next post.
qa 10.jpg
qa 10.jpg (396.4 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
The red line shows that arbor bolt is centered in path of the quill advance.
qa 9.jpg
qa 9.jpg (311.75 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
**please let me add two additional posts before any comments. I will simply create two space saver posts for now. I will continue this tomorrow. Feel free to comment following the next two posts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: A Couple of Weeks in the Shop

Post by JPG »

Aha the source of de red line(s). A real Rube Goldberg setup. An aux table set of legs, A vice clamping itself onto the legs and a laser level(with magnetic base) setting atop. Y'all know the legs are clamped very securely since I know how to adjust those square headed screws correctly! :rolleyes:
Over several days only the laser moved but only when inadvertently disturbed.
qa 11.jpg
qa 11.jpg (324.35 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Calibration point. Blue tape the other calibration point.
qa 13.jpg
qa 13.jpg (349.44 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
And finally the third point that determined the "index table" location
qa 12.jpg
qa 12.jpg (419.46 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
A bunch of 'details' that must be mentioned here.
The 5/8" shaft has a flat (oh BTW it is from a mortise hold down).
The molding arbor is set screwed to the flat and never moved. The height is set by the alignment screw and arbor nut being tightened simultaneously.*
The flat is thus aligned/centered/perpendicular to the red line and one index line is aligned also by rotating the 'index table' and tightening that set screw(also never moved).
Since the index marks are diametrically opposed, the shaft flat is centered about the opposing index line(the one towards the headstock).
So by having the set screw in the bottom 12" sanding disk hub 'loose' the whole she bang can be rotated and locked down at each index mark by tightening that set screw.

So yes Dennis gonna drill 11(the set screw hole is already there) holes 30° apart.

*The aligning screw in the drill chuck is tight to the keyway on the arbor and is rotated manually to run the screw in/out of the victim. I say manually while the alignment screw is tightened in the drill chuck. So the quill shaft is manually rotated.

All this is to allow mounting several victims and not having to repeat alignment for each one. I drillled 10 victims.

So what to use for a drill that must start on a cylindrical surface(twist drills tend to wander).
So from our machine shop kindred spirits comes a solution - a center drill.
qa 14 a.jpg
qa 14 a.jpg (211.92 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
The first of 110. Arbitrary starting point index. I drilled them about 1/8" deep. They are a pilot hole for a shallow depression.
qa 15.jpg
qa 15.jpg (349.92 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
So what will make a shallow 'depression'. A 5/16" ball end burr.
qa 15 a.jpg
qa 15 a.jpg (387.11 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Now the real work begins. Burr not intended to be used this way. The end flutes are very fine. The burr made it through 66 operations.
qa 16.jpg
qa 16.jpg (358.91 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
After 'depressing', mount the victim onto the quill shaft.
qa 17.jpg
qa 17.jpg (466.97 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
And finally clean up the burrs running under file (run victim both directions). Also decrease od at edges for reason that will be apparent later.
qa 18.jpg
qa 18.jpg (572.9 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That's it for the victims. However they have a partner. A collar with a 1 1/8id and a 5/6-18 set screw hole. Another Rube Goldberg setup. The vise is clamped to the table which is tilted to 15°. A different burr(also 5/16 max od) is intended to enlarge the set screw hole to 5/16 at a 15° bias in preparation for tapping to 3/8-16.
qa 20.jpg
qa 20.jpg (637.09 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
A close up of the 'flame' shaped 5/16 burr.
qa 19 a.jpg
qa 19 a.jpg (284.95 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
I neglected to take a pix of the tapping operation, but I used a tapered end tap to start the threads by mounting the tap in the jacobs chuck and using the 12" sanding disk as a crank mounted on the rear shaft. There came a point where the chuck could not drive the tap. At that point I used a standard tap in a tap handle and manually finished the threading.

The reason for needing the larger thread was the thing that goes into that hole has a 3/8-16 thread and I needed that 15° bias to duplicate a preexisting feature of the ss.

So what was the result of all this monkeying around. It was NOT to save $ but to try and improve upon a recent addition to the ss 'stuff'. Tooling broke the bank! Shipping also.
qa 21.jpg
qa 21.jpg (620.03 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
qa 22.jpg
qa 22.jpg (266.58 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
I have no doubt that there is concern re the shallowness of the 'depressions, but I show y'all the shallowness of the OEM depressions in the quill feed shaft as seen by the lever with a 5/16" half sphere shape(ball end).
qa 19 b.jpg
qa 19 b.jpg (354.3 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
Further proof of depression adequacy. This over sized collar(which has a 3/8-16 set screw hole) was used after the first victim was made for doing ALL the rest of the 'machining'. It is far from perfect since the over sized id allows the collar to get cocked and come loose. Other than an occurance caused by the victim's set screw coming loose on the quill shaft(once) it never budged at all.
qa 19.jpg
qa 19.jpg (431.1 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
Final comments: The set screw operation was a mixed result. The vise could not hold the collar securely and the 5/16 holes ended up being skewed, but that was not critical. The amount of threads on the outer collar is a bit skimpy. I will have to ponder that.

BTE that lever is an original that is over 55 years old and still going strong.
I currently have two dimpled collars on the goldie. I have two more sets for the MVII and the 510. The other ones will have to live with what they already have.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

A SS thingie.... I always wanted to build a SS thingie JPG... And your SS thingie looks quite interesting...

JPG.... What the hell is a SS thingie? and yes... I think I want one... :D
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

I can't even guess what it might be, but it has my attention. Even though I don't have an original mk VII for the 1960's.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A little deduction from what is already revealed 'might' lead thee to the answer thee seek.

Relevant 'details'.

Victim has 5/8" bore.

Victim is positioned in line with quill path.

Rotary table(10" sanding disk) with 30° segments defined is also centered on the quill advance path.

DO not have time presently to continue, but WILL later today. This stuff takes time with the convoluted pix posting procedure.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

JPG wrote:A little deduction from what is already revealed 'might' lead thee to the answer thee seek.

Relevant 'details'.

Victim has 5/8" bore.

Victim is positioned in line with quill path.

Rotary table(10" sanding disk) with 30° segments defined is also centered on the quill advance path.

DO not have time presently to continue, but WILL later today. This stuff takes time with the convoluted pix posting procedure.
Nope.... Need more clues. Things are piecing together but still no clear picture. YOU sir are what they call a tease...
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end, and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Hypothesis #2: You're going to make some 12-spoked "wagon wheels", and this is a fixture for boring the spoke holes in the wheel hubs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end MAYBE :D , and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Hypothesis #2: You're going to make some 12-spoked "wagon wheels", and this is a fixture for boring the spoke holes in the wheel hubs. WARMER :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

[quote="BuckeyeDennis"]Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end, and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Mine have 10 & 12 stations.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA