A Couple of Weeks in the Shop

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: A Couple of Weeks in the Shop

Post by Spooner »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end, and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Hypothesis #2: You're going to make some 12-spoked "wagon wheels", and this is a fixture for boring the spoke holes in the wheel hubs.
Dude thats not bad. I would have never thought of a spoke wheel.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end MAYBE :D , and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Hypothesis #2: You're going to make some 12-spoked "wagon wheels", and this is a fixture for boring the spoke holes in the wheel hubs. WARMER :rolleyes:

Some kind of a wind mill then?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OOOOHHH CHAD. Do I have a mini project for thee!!! Been looking for a 'solution'. If you are agreeable(curious) PM me.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

So, the sanding disk was used only for orientation for the round bottom holes in the collar. The saw blade arbor was just that; an arbor. The arbor was to hold the collar to put the holes in the collar. The use of the laser for alignment was clever.

In "my world" the same operation could be achieved (easier and more accurate) with a 5C collet indexer, and an arbor to hold the collar, and drill with a vertical mill (Bridgeport or drill press). Or, on my Okuma LB3000 with live tooling and C axis (accurate within +/- 1 second of a degree of rotation). But, I suppose I'm bragging just a bit. You got to have the toys if you want to play.

I haven't figured out what the collar itself is for though, yet.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That came out real slick, Red! I bought the Shopsmith version (with magnets and lateral locating pin") recently, and I think I'd like your version better. It's just an easier, one-handed operation to index it to a different position.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

pcd7326 wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:Hypothesis #1: You've gone off the deep end, and you're going to convert your Shopsmith into a woodworking turret lathe. ;) Nah -- turret lathes usually have just six or eight tool stations.

Mine have 10 & 12 stations.
Ah, but I was thinking of old-fashioned mechanical turret lathes with radially-oriented end-working tool stations, not CNC lathes. Like this:
Turret lathe.jpg
Turret lathe.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Ah, but I was thinking of old-fashioned mechanical turret lathes with radially-oriented end-working tool stations, not CNC lathes.
Much like with a woman; I never assume what someone is thinking. I was stating what my lathes are.

And yes, I know what a "traditional" or "antique" turret lathe is. I am very familiar with a Warner & Swasey #4 turret lathe, to be exact.
Last edited by Chad on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Don't feel too bad Dennis.

In a PM he referred to "engine lathe". :D

Yes Dennis it is more like the original but has 9 more stops.

FWIW I do think in terms of "engine lathe'.(60 yr old experiences)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

OK JPG, you got it back. Now give us more of the story...
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Chad wrote:OK JPG, you got it back. Now give us more of the story...
That should be a different thread.

If you want, I will start it and in the process reveal your contribution to solve what was to me a dead end.

I hesitate to start it now since I have done zilch towards making the detent thingy.

BTW "it" is beautiful(for a chunk of steel).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝