Check pivot pin orientation before removing roll pin

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmoore65
Gold Member

Check pivot pin orientation before removing roll pin

Post by jmoore65 »

I decided to take my !arkV apart for moving and cleaning. One step was to remove the pivot pin which allows the headstock tubes to be raised to an upgright position.

The pivot pin is held in place by one of several means. Mine was held in by a roll pin. The roll pin can be removed by tapping it out with a punch pin tool and hammer. The roll pin is pushed down into the casting and falls out the bottom.

If thr roll pin was not pushed into the hole in the bottom of the casting it can become jammed on the wall of the cadting instead of exit the hold on the underside. Also the hoe for the roll pin are at an angle not striaght across. Movement od the rpivot pin can setup a situation where the roll pin can be driven into the bearing surface of the pivot pin support instead of exiting the hole in the bearing surface.

This is what happened to me.

I was able tomdrill out a relief area under the exit hole to allow the roll pin to be pushed throught but it was trial and error for a couple hours.

So, please when reinstalling the pivot roll pin remember to push it into the hole on the other side of the pin and when removing make sure the pivot pin is aligned correctly to allow the roll pin to exit cleanly.

I do want tomsay thanks to the folks who documented thier experiences with this on this forum. The discussions and pictures helped me figure out what I'd done and find a path forward.

Now for some epoxy to fill in a couple areas and some cleaning. Then I can reassemble and get back to woodworking vs. machinery maintenance...

Jim