Not Just a Coincidence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Re: Not Just a Coincidence

Post by BigSky »

On my 6 inch steel ruler.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I don't have that problem. I left out the larger 510/520 bumper and use the thin 500 bumper instead. It keeps the table from banging against the headstock, but having the thin one allows me to make small adjustments. I don't want the longer bumper limiting my adjustments.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

badtheba wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 am
dusty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:51 pmThe left face of the saw blade is about 1/62" to the left of table insert center line.
Where do you find the tape measure with those graduation marks?
I think that comment was made in jest. As in 1/62 as opposed to 1/64 (or 1/32). I'm sure it was a typo. Dusty could clarify which he meant, but since we now agree that the bumpers vary that is not going to be a critical measurement or repeatable from machine to machine.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm
badtheba wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 am
dusty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:51 pmThe left face of the saw blade is about 1/62" to the left of table insert center line.
Where do you find the tape measure with those graduation marks?
I think that comment was made in jest. As in 1/62 as opposed to 1/64 (or 1/32). I'm sure it was a typo. Dusty could clarify which he meant, but since we now agree that the bumpers vary that is not going to be a critical measurement or repeatable from machine to machine.

- David
Not in jest, must be a defective 4 key in my keyboard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What effect does the gap between the bumper and the headstock shown in the first pix(second page) have upon these conclusions?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm I don't have that problem. I left out the larger 510/520 bumper and use the thin 500 bumper instead. It keeps the table from banging against the headstock, but having the thin one allows me to make small adjustments. I don't want the longer bumper limiting my adjustments.
You move the carriage to make small adjustments?

Yer quill stuck?

Rip fence stuck?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:09 am
garys wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm I don't have that problem. I left out the larger 510/520 bumper and use the thin 500 bumper instead. It keeps the table from banging against the headstock, but having the thin one allows me to make small adjustments. I don't want the longer bumper limiting my adjustments.
You move the carriage to make small adjustments?

Yer quill stuck?

Rip fence stuck?
When in table saw mode I very seldom use the quill to move the blade. I prefer, for no specific reason, to have the quill fully retracted when sawing. I use the rip fence to tweek measurements. The magnetic tape provides the level of precision that I usual need at the table saw.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I use the quill for fine adjustments or corrections. My first three decades or so using a SS I didn't know about the rubber thing, so my approach was to generally extend the quill a bit (~3/16" ish) before positioning the headstock and table. Then I could make minor adjustments in either direction using the quill. Remember this is a pre-500 fence, not ideal for tiny corrections. Old habits die hard, I still do it the same way despite the improvements in equipment. That's why I don't use the bumper, not compatible with my quill 'preset' approach because it presumes the quill in the position that Dusty uses and therefore one can make small adjustments in only one direction. (And then only if the bumper results in a position that allows it.) For the bumpers at the low end of the range discussed in this thread, you'd be extremely limited in making any correction with the quill because the quill is retracted and the blade is very near the right edge of the slot.

I'm not answering for Gary, just expressing one view of how the proper bumper limits one from making small adjustments.

The down side of not using the bumper, I guess, is that I probably also can't reliably use the direct reading scale.

- David