I was given a Mark VII by a friend....

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: I was given a Mark VII by a friend....

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Jpg is very knowledgeable on the SS so take his work as the gospel, John could be correct I could be mislead about making it the shorty as well I was thinking it was this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnF5WfPaTQ ? some one can correct me if I am wrong however my understanding is the only difference is the table system and the power pro head stock ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 am Jpg is very knowledgeable on the SS so take his work as the gospel, John could be correct I could be mislead about making it the shorty as well I was thinking it was this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnF5WfPaTQ ? some one can correct me if I am wrong however my understanding is the only difference is the table system and the power pro head stock ?
The OP says he has a MK VII not a MK 7.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hobbyman2,

The Mark VII made in the 1960's is quite different than the Mark 7 made today as shown in the picture below.
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I guess I missed when it was described as the MK VII . not a MK 7 lol Good catch ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
swampstomper
Bronze Member

Post by swampstomper »

So after looking through many pages in the forum, I came across this post about rebuilding the AO Smith 1/8 HP motor viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12664 which is extremely informative and at first read, seems to answer all of my questions regarding repairing the motor on the Mark VII, Thank you joshh!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am going to guess the wire leads are rubber insulation if they are crumbling. Rather than replacing them slipping shrink ttubing over then may be preferable. Wire color will be crucial in getting the motor up and running.

So what manufacturer(GE/A.O.Smith/?) for the motor and does it have a start relay.

FWIW, the power switch/direction control is an unreliable and irreplacable part. Take good care of it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange