1983 Model Mark V Slows Down and Trips Circuit Breaker

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Budunlimited
Bronze Member

1983 Model Mark V Slows Down and Trips Circuit Breaker

Post by Budunlimited »

I have 1983 Mark V that works fine except for ripping. Every time I rip a 2x4 or 2x6 the motor bogs downs and trips the circuit breaker. I ordered a
new comb blade (no ripping blades in stock) from the SS store but they said that won't fix the problem. They said I need to tighten the Poly V belt.
Can someone provide instructions on how to tighten the Poly v belt?
benmcn
Gold Member

Re: 1983 Model Mark V Slows Down and Trips Circuit Breaker

Post by benmcn »

You might find what your looking for here in Sawdust session #23

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt3.htm

Jacob Anderson has a short video that might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2RSrFp ... e=youtu.be

Written instructions here

http://www.lhdigest.com/SS/HOW%20TO%20D ... 0BELTS.pdf
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Budunlimited wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:11 pm Can someone provide instructions on how to tighten the Poly v belt?
We're here to help, but I'd also recommend getting a manual for your version Mark V from SS. I recommend first checking the belt tension because that is simpler. You need to slide the belt cover to the left to gain access to the belts. Unplug the machine, remove the hubs from the two aux. drives on the left side of the headstock if they are on there, then normally remove two sheet metal screws that secure the belt cover to the headstock casting. (It's possible that there are more than two screws.) The belt cover should then slide off. Press firmly on the side of the upper belts, you should have some deflection, about 1/8" is good. Also inspect your lower belt for condition and wear, it needs to be 1/2" wide at the wide part.

If belt tension does not solve your problem, and I think that's a strong possibility, report results back in this thread for help. Note any noises or anything in the headstock that seems hot, especially near bearing locations. Check air flow out the bottom of the headstock, normally warm but not hot and a strong flow. Try running the headstock at high speed for a few minutes with nothing on the spindles and see if it can do that. The idea here is to collect as much information as possible that might help diagnose the problem. Let us know the type of blade and how it's set up. Pictures might help. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

= David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You say it bogs down.

Does the motor bog down or does the motor sound normal and the blade slows? Tightening the belt might solve the later but not if the motor is your issue.

If you attempt to rip other than 2x, do you have a problem?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If the machine slows down and then trips the breaker I do not see a belt problem. If the belt was loose the motor should maintain speed but the blade should slow down. Tripping the breaker could be caused by the motor being overloaded and as result drawing excessive current causing the breaker to trip. Check your set up and make sure the the kerf is not closing against the blade..
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have to agree with the others on the belt tension not being the issue.

I would start with the new blade, cross cut blades are very poor at the rip function. At least a comb blade will be a good test as to how bad the other blade was for this purpose.

The other thing mentioned is the alignment, and yes this should be check before attempting any more cuts. Not only is that bad for the quality of cut it is also dangerous, that is a prime contribute to kick-back.

The other thing to check is what speed you are running at, the dial has saw speeds and the lower end of that is for ripping where you gain some torque over the higher saw speeds.

Then there is the power issue, it is best if the shopsmith is on a 20 A line and has no other things attached and running. If possible you should plug into a wall outlet but if you have an to use an extension cord look for a 12 Ga cord and one that is just long enough.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If motor is slowing and tripping the breaker than I agree with the others here that it is not as likely a belt slipping problem. Belt slipping could slow or stop the blade but depending on the degree of slippage may not affect the motor as much. It is still a possible cause to consider.
So the other factors to consider -
Blade sharpness or wrong blade type, a dull or wrong blade for the job puts more work on the motor having to work harder to make the cut.
Table and Fence alignment, being out of alignment puts a bind in the cutting path with more work on the motor and increases the danger of kick backs.
Feed rate, pushing the material to be cut through to fast puts more work on the motor.
Proper Speed, cutting to slow or to fast will affect performance.
Having a sharp blade, well aligned tool, proper speed and feed rate will not only reduce stress on the motor but provide a cleaner cut.

If any of these are the reason for the motor problem it is still a good time to check the belts and oil the sheaves with the other recommended routine headstock maintenance.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Budunlimited
Bronze Member

Post by Budunlimited »

Hi, I would like to thank all (chapmanruss, reible, wa2crk, dusty, and DLB) who provided helpful ideas to solve my problem. I received the new comb blade and checked belt tension. Belt tension was just fine. I also followed the lubrication procedures as I had not used the Mark V in over a decade. I also slowed down the speed. I was always increasing the speed to to rip the boards, which I know now was wrong. With the new blade and slower speed I ripped the 2x4s and 2x6s (10' in length) like cutting through butter. And I also plugged in the shop VAC into an outlet that was on a different circuit breaker in the garage. Thanks again to all.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Keep in mind, if you are doing a lot of ripping cuts you may want to consider a dedicated ripping blade, e.g. 20 tooth blade. You'll be able to feed much faster and it will be easier on the saw.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor