Incra V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Incra V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip

Post by dusty »

Does anyone have the Shopsmith Safety Grip (505625) mounted on an Incra V120. I just received these from Shopsmith and both came with installation instruction sheets. Neither set of instructions speak to pairing the V120 with the Safety Grip and I have not been able to achieve that.

The Safety Grip mounts easily on the Shopsmith Miter Gauge.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Incra V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip

Post by RFGuy »

Dusty,

Here is a pic of it from another forum member. I don't know if this helps to compare:

viewtopic.php?p=267634#p267634
Incra_V120.jpg
Incra_V120.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Pics? The SS web site describes the Incra as "with adapter" to mount the safety grip. Their pic looks like this, I assume the aluminum blocks are the adapters:
Incra Miter Gauge
Incra Miter Gauge
556099l.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks to both of you. The pictures do help. They show me that I have not been trying to fit it all together incorrectly.

In the image posted by DLB I see a slight difference in a part. The rounded corner in that small aluminum block in not rounded on the block that came with my V120. That corner on mine is just a bevel but I cannot imagine how that could be my problem.

It appears to me that if the horizontal hole in that aluminum block was just a bit larger that mine would come together. It is right there where I have a problem. A screw (in the Safety Grip handle) is suppose to go through that hole but does not line up. I cannot install that screw.

Then, if I could install the screw, I would have it all assembled BUT I would also have parts left over (small nylon washer, and two knobs).

I'm at that point where gorilla tactics normally take over. I am trying hard to avoid that.

After thought. I have all of the documentation that came with my V120 and that image of the V120 is not included. It certainly would have helped. However, I did find that image by going online to shopsmith.com and searching for the Incra V120.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

OKAY I now have an Incra Miter Gauge V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip.

Gorilla tactics, in this case, worked. I loosely assembly the adapter parts, aligned the screw hole in the handle with the hole in the aluminum block and then tightened every thing down. As I did this, I heard a snap but everything appeared to be in place so I continued. Once secured, every thing appears to mate up so I am declaring victory. I now have two more miter gauges than I can use at any one time. Don't ask why. My wife already did that.
V120 Miter Gauge with Shopsmith Safety Grip
V120 Miter Gauge with Shopsmith Safety Grip
20201113_072634[1].jpg (265.76 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Glad you resolved your issue. I recall I had some weird interference problem when I mounted my safety grip on the v120 that Shopsmith rectified. If I find my post I'll link it here.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks for the posts and for the references to previous threads (which I participated in). I had totally forgotten my previous related posts here. I no longer have that Incra in my shop. Son-in-law has it.

I've got to reassemble mine and follow the instructions received (both here and from Shopsmith). Didn't square the face. :mad:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I removed the safety grip, checked the fence for squareness to the table, readjusted tension in the miter slot and then reassembled. But, prior to reassembly, I mounted the aluminum block and tightened the screws down (no gorilla tactic). Yes, the aluminum block is not firmly attached. It does move "a little". I modified the assembly sequence. I left the aluminum block loosely mounted (backed out the two screws). I then attached the heel of the safety grip to the other aluminum block. I then attached the threaded rod (safety grip) to the aluminum block and secured the two screws holding that block. All went well.

There is nothing wrong with the V120 or the Safety Grip. The assembly process went a bit different than I remember but all is well that ends well. :) :) :)

notice: the emojis are back
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Dusty, I have had my V120 set up with the safety grip for a few years. It is great. You will enjoy the simple accuracy of the unit.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe