Incra V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Incra V120 with Shopsmith Safety Grip

Post by dusty »

Have hope. This may be a temporarily issue. If I go to the Incra site and attempt to put any of the miter gauge parts on order, I get the same result. (not just for Shopsmith unique parts) At the same time, a part for the I-Box that are Shopsmith unique is currently on my invoice list. I ordered yesterday.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am Have hope. This may be a temporarily issue.
Dusty,

Well, the Incra engineer specifically told me to search for a used one on eBay, etc. because they stopped making them. Out of production is definitely more severe than telling a customer to wait a few months for a new batch to be produced. Their taking down the weblinks seem to confirm production has ended for good on this item from them. Difficult to have hope based on this, but I will try.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 am
dusty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am Have hope. This may be a temporarily issue.
Dusty,

Well, the Incra engineer specifically told me to search for a used one on eBay, etc. because they stopped making them. Out of production is definitely more severe than telling a customer to wait a few months for a new batch to be produced. Their taking down the weblinks seem to confirm production has ended for good on this item from them. Difficult to have hope based on this, but I will try.
OKAY, I guess that makes it so. Maybe you should call to check on the Shopsmith miter bar. They just might have one or two laying around.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I feel fortunate I already have Shopsmith editions of the V120 and the Incra Miter 5000 sled and an iBox. Good equipment, all.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

FYI...I got this response below from Shopsmith Customer Service, so it appears that Incra has abandoned this and possibly Shopsmith one day will make a suitable replacement. It might be a while though...

From Shopsmith CS:
"It won't be in this configuration. INCRA has discontinued their miter gauge and is completely out of stock. Our Engineer is working on finding a suitable replacement, but that process is likely to take quite a while. "
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I will never need to buy one since I have four miter gauges now (two Incra and two SS) but I do hope for the benefit others that if Shopsmith does make one they will be wise enough to make it "fit" their miter track.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Does anyone know what is different between the standard Incra V120 and the Shopsmith version? I was able to place an order at Incra for the Shopsmith version of the miter bar and shows it is shipping. I won't know until I receive it whether it is the correct size or not. I tried asking Incra what was different between them but got limited information. Just wondering what other parts might be unique to the Shopsmith version. IF the only difference is the miter bar and they are still selling them then I could buy a standard Incra V120 and swap out the miter bar.
📶RF Guy

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:41 am Does anyone know what is different between the standard Incra V120 and the Shopsmith version? I was able to place an order at Incra for the Shopsmith version of the miter bar and shows it is shipping. I won't know until I receive it whether it is the correct size or not. I tried asking Incra what was different between them but got limited information. Just wondering what other parts might be unique to the Shopsmith version. IF the only difference is the miter bar and they are still selling them then I could buy a standard Incra V120 and swap out the miter bar.
I was going to say none, but that's wrong. Here's the Incra standard version. Image.

The Shopsmith edition (with the safety grip adapter) is seen here: Image.

The differences I see are the Incra version has a tall black grip/knob to tighten the gauge when between 1 degree detents. The Shopsmith edition replaces this with a low profile star knob that doesn't interfere with the use of the standard Shopsmith safety grip. The other big difference appears to be the fence. There are two vertical pieces on the Incra version and the the Shopsmith edition only has one vertical piece.

Shopsmith also sold an adapter kit that allowed the Shopsmith safety grip to be mounted to the v120. The adapter kit was (1) a machined block of aluminum that attached to the miter gauge fence and had a tapped hole to receive the safety grip post to be threaded into it and (2) a smaller block of aluminum that fit over the the cap screw that is the fulcrum for the angle selector/indicator and accepted a machine screw through the base of the Shopsmith safety grip heel. Both aluminum blocks can be seen in the linked photo.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There are pictures early in this thread that shows the aluminum adapter block and the knobs. The back plate on the Incra Miter gauge would need to be drilled, Taped andand countersunk for the two screws.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks guys...I appreciate it. Based on your pics and info, I agree that it should be "doable" to try to make one assuming I can get the miter bar from Incra. I noticed the new design of the miter fence on the V120, but I don't know when they switched to this. Guessing they wanted a beefier fence for attaching fence extensions, etc. that Incra sells. This new addition on the V120 might make attaching the Shopsmith safety grip more difficult. Unfortunately, the tracking is showing 3-5 weeks for me to get the Shopsmith miter bars from Incra so it might be awhile before I can attempt a conversion. I'll probably wait and see if the miter bars are the right size before trying to buy a V120 to attempt it.
📶RF Guy