Speed Control Issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benmcn
Gold Member

Re: Speed Control Issue

Post by benmcn »

I recognize that OP has already successfully replaced the spring, but for those who might stumble on this thread in the future, Nick Engler demonstrates one way to use the short board JPG mentioned. You can find it at around the 8 minute mark. Rather than using inner tube tires I have used clamps attached to the base of the motor and board to compress the board against the spring.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt2.htm
Last edited by benmcn on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

If memory serves. I think I used a ratchet strap with the board when I did mine.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you make the board long enough you can tuck one end under your arm pit and grab the other end with your hand and just bend down to compress the spring and remove the snap ring. Then relieve tension on the spring SLOWLY to keep it under control. Looks like you did a real good job on the sheave cleaning. The gunk was probably an accumulation of belt dust, old oil and new oil. Makes a nice messy sludge.
Bill V
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Sludge is definitely the word I would use Bill. And it was very gummy...

Thanks for the link to the vid Benmcn. That would be a big help.

I was lucky enough to have my son here when I did it and just Herculesed that spring on there with my bare hands and slid on the clip.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTDT.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RichardH
Bronze Member

Post by RichardH »

I had this exact same problem a week ago on my 510. And yeah... I've owned it for 30 years and this is the first time I've been inside it for maintenance, so no regular PM.

Prying the sheave apart was the biggest hurdle; it was stuck so solid I could hardly tell what was supposed to move. I applied some WD-40 near the shaft overnight, then used a clamp against the v-belt to wedge it toward the center and evenly force the two halves apart.

Then, of course, I had oil that needed to be removed, lest it attract dust and gum up again. I used brake cleaner, taking care not to get near the main bearings, so I wouldn't wash out that grease. This did remove the lube from the small bearing at the end where the speed control wire loop connects.

I took a look at the Zoom Spout mentioned here, but that seems to be a general-purpose machine oil, which I wouldn't think is a good combination with wood dust (gummy) - I'd be curious to hear thoughts around this (or pointers to an existing thread). I used WD-40 Dry Lube spray on the shaft and the small bearing to get things gliding smoothly again; it's designed particularly for use on lathes. Conveniently, I found it at AutoZone.
Original owner... Mark V model 510 (s/n 1002xx) w/ bandsaw, bought at the county fair in 1990
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Use the zoom spout oil(or anything similar). Yes general purpose light machine oil. Mineral oil works well also(SS sold it for this purpose a while back).

I would like to know how durable the dry lube is on a sliding sheave under load. I question its effectiveness.

And finally we are supposed to lubricate those sliding sheaves every 10 operating hours.(not once every 30 years)! Keeping the sheaves lubricated PREVENTS gumming up etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RichardH
Bronze Member

Post by RichardH »

Yeah, 30 years, but with a ton of idle time. A lot more than 10 hours use, though!

I suppose if you're doing lube every 10 hours, then oil makes sense. I'll try to report back on the dry lube.
Original owner... Mark V model 510 (s/n 1002xx) w/ bandsaw, bought at the county fair in 1990