Speed Control Issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Re: Speed Control Issue

Post by KCollins »

I have warmer weather coming in the next few days.. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help guys.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

So last night I went out to the garage and poked around for a little while. I found a small screwdriver that would fit in the end where the hoop goes and I gave it a gentle pull... Nothing... I adjusted my grip and gave it a good pull... Wouldn't budge. So I pulled my hand out and let go of the screwdriver. Well the little button turned and the screwdriver fell down under the motor. I grabbed my little magnet on a string to retrieve it and on the first cast came up with this.
IMG_2544 Reduced.png
IMG_2544 Reduced.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
IMG_2545 Reduced.png
IMG_2545 Reduced.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
Any idea where this came from? And how to get it back where it belongs? Ultimately I retrieved my screwdriver and tried it again. It ain't moving. Everything spins. The sheave just doesn't move. I put some oil in the weep hole to see if that frees anything up. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get this part moving again?

The weirdest part of all of this is it was working flawlessly in August. A real champ. I have no clue why this has happened.

Kevin
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

There is a roll pin that holds the pork chop in place for it to rotate to move the control sheave. I can not tell if it is still in place in the pictures.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Maybe this is the rollpin that you found, i.e. on the end of the sheave. Part #112 in pic below (Shopsmith #513734).
rollpin2.jpg
rollpin2.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't believe the roll pin is missing from holding the "pork chop" in place otherwise it wouldn't stay in position. If not what RFGuy suggests. It may have simply dropped in there at some point. Maybe a broken speed control previously that lost it and a repaired speed control replaced it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Nope RF Guy is the winner... Roll Pin part number 112. When I discovered the retaining loop wasn't attached to the control sheave there was no roll pin . I didn't even know there was a roll pin involved until I found it and RF Guy pointed it out.

So anyone have any ideas on how to get the control sheave to move freely again?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Some times they will free up just with lubrication, possibly taking more than one day and, ideally, adding some lubrication to the shaft in the drill press position, which allows gravity to assist and you can usually apply more oil. I don't personally do that. If I have one that sticks I prefer to disassemble the Idler Shaft (or motor shaft) for thorough cleaning, inspection, and possibly polishing. I don't know the history on your Shopsmith, but frequently they are bought used which often includes poorly maintained recently. Dirt and sawdust get in there and, over time, residue and/or corrosion are left. Most of the time I go ahead and do both the Control Sheave on the Idler and the Floating Sheave on the Motor at the same time.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You asked earlier re cold weather. Yes especially if the oil used is not #10 machine oil(very low viscosity)). Cold(lack of heat) tends to make sliding parts sticky. IIWM, I would remove the control sheave, clean all the existing oil off it and relubricate with #10 MACHINE oil.

The floating sheave(motor shaft) likely has a similar issue.

If you continue to need to use it in near freezing temperatures. I suggest running it a few minutes to warm things up before attempting speed changing.=
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Okay... I want to stress that this thing was blown out and lubricated with zoom spout when I first got it. I cleaned and lubed everything. It came with a bandsaw and I putz around with that a few days. Cut some lumber on the table saw a few times and then life got in the way and it sat. It was working the last time I turned it off. So with that said I have per the suggestions of this forum tore down the head and removed the Idler Sheave assembly. The two halves are really stuck together. It isn't budging at all. What do I do now that I have it out of the head? I don't think I want to pry on it. Any suggestions? What has worked for others?
IMG_2578 Reduced.png
IMG_2578 Reduced.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
IMG_2579 Reduced.png
IMG_2579 Reduced.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
IMG_2580 Reduced.png
IMG_2580 Reduced.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
IMG_2581 Reduced.png
IMG_2581 Reduced.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
Attachments
IMG_2582 Reduced.png
IMG_2582 Reduced.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

okay progress. I put some drops of oil in the weep hole and let it sit for a few minutes. It moved a little. So I repeated the process. After some tug of war with my son I got them a part.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510