6" Belt Sander Position and Orientation

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

6" Belt Sander Position and Orientation

Post by edma194 »

All the pictures I've ever seen of the belt sander show it in the right side SPT mount of a Shopsmith with the belt projecting forward in horizontal mode. It never occurred to me before, but now that I have a belt sander it looks just fine to be mounting it on either side of the Shopsmith and projecting forward or backward in horizontal mode because the drive spindle runs all the way through the frame and out the other side to make an auxiliary spindle.

Is there any reason not to use any of those 4 different ways to mount to the belt sander?

The table can be mounted on the sander in either direction. Changing forward and backward projection allows the either the platen or the slack side of the belt to face forward. And it may simply be convenient to mount it on the left side instead of the right.

Bonus questions:

Mine has a pair of washers between the platen and the frame at the 6 mounting holes. Altogether they raise the platen by about 1/4". That increases the angle that the belt contacts the platen and increases the friction on the belt at those points.

Is it really necessary to have the platen that much higher than the top of the rollers?

I understand the washers can be used to level the platen, and the platen needs some height over the top of the rollers to keep it down flat, but do I really need that much?

Has anyone changed the driver roller sleeve 502932? How does that work and how well did it go for you?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: 6" Belt Sander Position and Orientation

Post by jsburger »

Check the picture of the belt sander on the SS web site. It is actually mounted on the left side with it projecting towards the back. It needs to run in that direction for the dust collection to work.
Attachments
beltsander_l.jpg
beltsander_l.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I may not have noticed that it's actually on the left because I assume pictures are taken from the front. The position of the table should have given it away!

I can see how that the rear projection directs the dust rapidly toward the manifold when working on the platen side, but the dust has to take the long way around whenever you're sanding on the slack side or against the idler roller end. I can reverse that on the PowerPro machine though this is destined for permanent-ish mounting on the shortie I'm preparing with an ordinary headstock.

I think I want this mounted on the right side, projecting back so the platen is on the front in vertical mode. That should work exactly the same for dust collection and leaves the left side available for other accessories.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm I may not have noticed that it's actually on the left because I assume pictures are taken from the front. The position of the table should have given it away!

I can see how that the rear projection directs the dust rapidly toward the manifold when working on the platen side, but the dust has to take the long way around whenever you're sanding on the slack side or against the idler roller end. I can reverse that on the PowerPro machine though this is destined for permanent-ish mounting on the shortie I'm preparing with an ordinary headstock.

I think I want this mounted on the right side, projecting back so the platen is on the front in vertical mode. That should work exactly the same for dust collection and leaves the left side available for other accessories.
Yes, since the drive shaft projects out both sides that can be done. On either side the sander has to project towards the back.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Because of it's design the Belt Sander can be powered by either side of the headstock. It should only be run in the forward direction with the backing plate forward. Running it in reverse not only sends the sawdust up into the air it also has the upper tension/tracking drum running backwards. That's a problem too. The Belt Sander is designed differently than the Strip Sander which can run in reverse.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm Because of it's design the Belt Sander can be powered by either side of the headstock. It should only be run in the forward direction with the backing plate forward. Running it in reverse not only sends the sawdust up into the air it also has the upper tension/tracking drum running backwards. That's a problem too. The Belt Sander is designed differently than the Strip Sander which can run in reverse.
I spent hours over the weekend working out how that crazy idler tension mechanism works but didn't think about this aspect of it. So I guess if it's running backwards the roller puts a force on the spring relieving some of the tension so it's not being driven efficiently.

So left or right side is ok, but the orientation must be platen forward when it is in the vertical position, or the frame projected toward the back in the horizontal position.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

One of the uses for the drive shaft going all the way through is the ability to add a Sanding Drum outboard on the Belt Sander making it a more versatile sanding station.
beltsander_internal.jpg
beltsander_internal.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:35 pm One of the uses for the drive shaft going all the way through is the ability to add a Sanding Drum outboard on the Belt Sander making it a more versatile sanding station.

beltsander_internal.jpg
This is my plan. I have a machine to cut down for a shortie with a good clean headstock, put the belt sander on the left, use the auxiliary spindle to mount drums, flap sanders, and the like, and the 12" sanding disk usually mounted on the head stock. I also have a cast iron frame for a pair of 8" grinding wheels that I can mount somehow, and maybe get the strip sander some day too. I plan to keep all those dust makers in a corner with a simple drape enclosing the area and some powerful venting overhead.

There's plenty of sawdust kicked out by a lot of tools but I think sanding and grinding are the worst for all the fine dust they put in the air. I want to get that overhead vent and my dust collector both venting outside, there's no practical way to keep capture all that dust otherwise.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sounds like a good plan for sanding jobs. A word of caution though, DO NOT use it for metal grinding in the dust collection area or with the dust collector. You could get a dust explosion from sparks from the metal grinding getting mixed with the fine dust particles. I am a retired firefighter and this is my years of firefighting experience talking.
Russ

Mark V 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 pm Sounds like a good plan for sanding jobs. A word of caution though, DO NOT use it for metal grinding in the dust collection area or with the dust collector. You could get a dust explosion from sparks from the metal grinding getting mixed with the fine dust particles. I am a retired firefighter and this is my years of firefighting experience talking.
I am definitely going to keep this in mind. I certainly don't want any explosions inside my house, and I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be real happy about it either.
Ed from Rhode Island