SPT Mounting Posts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: SPT Mounting Posts

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

Thank you for the additional information on Jointer mounting posts. It would be helpful to know the year and/or serial number of your Jointer to fit this change into the timeline.

Anyone else having a SPT pre Shopsmith Inc. (1973) with eccentric posts information on your SPT would be helpful too.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

My Jointer SN is 52814. I'm not up on SPT dates. My Greenie is estimated early 1957.
Jointer Plate.jpg
Jointer Plate.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 661 times
- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

Like the Mark 5/V production date by month chart, the Jointer chart is missing most of 1956 and 1957. Serial number 39063 was the starting number for February 1956 and the next listing is S/N 64426 for December 1957. Your Jointer was made in 1957. Thanks for the information on your Jointer.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In my first post I said,
To my knowledge the Jig Saw only had the straight mounting posts with the snap ring but could use the Strip Sander eccentric mounting posts. This may have changed before the Jig Saw went out of production.
I have done some more looking into this and the Jig Saw did indeed change to eccentric mounting posts prior to going out of production. I am looking to confirm the Jig Saw eccentric posts are the same as the Strip Sander's posts. Based on the overall length and the length to the snap ring of the straight Jig Saw posts and the offset of the eccentric Strip Sander posts I believe this is correct. The Strip Sander was introduced prior to the Jig Saw being discontinued. I will update this when I can confirm the posts being the same or different.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Well here is the update on the Jig Saw eccentric mounting posts. The Jig Saw did indeed come with eccentric mounting posts by July 1982 as shown in that Owners Manual and a Jig Saw made in May 1984 has them as original parts. The part number for the Jig Saw's eccentric mounting posts is 513776 the same as the Strip Sander's. For reference my Jig Saw made in May 1980 has the straight mounting tubes.

On the original post I did not have the length from the top of the post to the bottom of the collar for the original Compressor/Magna Sprayer. That measurement is 2-1/2" set up on my Mark 7.

The original post for this thread has been corrected with this information so statements in subsequent posts may not make sense until now.
Russ

Mark V 520