New member, not sure where to start.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New member, not sure where to start.

Post by JPG »

Having more than one pin hole is an anomaly. Having two is unusual!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 pm Having more than one pin hole is an anomaly. Having two is unusual!
Well, I started cleaning up the Mark VII backup machine I bought a couple months ago and what do you know; the speed cam had the two pin holes you mentioned to me. So there you have it, but I have yet to figure out why. Doesn't seem like it would work correctly if you tried to use it.
Attachments
CamRollPinExtraHole.jpg
CamRollPinExtraHole.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 594 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 pm Oh! You HAVE the little spring! IIRC the small end goes into the small hole in the shaft and the large radius end lays against a similarly shaped surface. I have never understood the reason for that spring.(mine originally did not have it)
I was finally able to figure out how to fit the little spring back in to the headstock crank handle, and while it probably wont benefit many people I thought I would add it to this original post. See pics. You can install it with the crank handle attached but it's tricky.
Attachments
Spring1.jpg
Spring1.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Spring2.jpg
Spring2.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Spring3.jpg
Spring3.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 593 times
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:41 pm Since different motors were used with the MVII, we need to know which you have. GE? A.O. Smith?, with start relay?. The wire colors differ among the 4 versions. The next step would be to connect the wires independant of the switch for testing purposes to see if the motor WILL run. Smoke is not a good sign if there was very much of it.

Detach the motor pan and motor from the headstock and we can begin this journey.
So for almost a year I searched for a backup A.O. Smith (C48L2A10) motor. I eventually bought an entire backup Mark VII with a couple SPT's. I tested it before purchasing and looked in the headstock side port at the wires to see if they were deteriorated. They looked good and the motor sounded normal so I bought it. This weekend I started tearing it apart and cleaning the motor and noticed it is not an A.O. Smith but a GE. I wonder how many GE motors I passed over on eBay thinking I could only use an A.O. Smith? Clearly JPG had told me that the Mark VII used other brands, but I missed it. Anyway, now I have a complete backup. below is a picture of the GE (5KC37PG479) motor badge that will fit in the Mark VII if someone else needs to replace their A.O. Smith.

Sorry about the flipped photo.
Mike -
Attachments
GEMotor.jpg
GEMotor.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Last edited by miken on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

miken wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:42 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 pm Having more than one pin hole is an anomaly. Having two is unusual!
Well, I started cleaning up the Mark VII backup machine I bought a couple months ago and what do you know; the speed cam had the two pin holes you mentioned to me. So there you have it, but I have yet to figure out why. Doesn't seem like it would work correctly if you tried to use it.
Well there may have been a production change caused by the 'other' hole not working well with the pin only on the thin portion on the cam.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange