New member, not sure where to start.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

miken
Gold Member

Re: New member, not sure where to start.

Post by miken »

DLB, thanks, I did see his ebay repair but he does not mention repair of the winding leads. I may contact him anyway and ask as the motor repair places around here tend to work on large industrial motors. Maybe I could just ship him the motor casing and windings?

RPD, thanks as well. My switch didn't really appear to have a problem with there being a gap between the switching plates (for lack of a better term). On mine, a couple of the fixed side contacts had a bit of wobble, perhaps enough to vibrate and come within arcing distance of the "leaf spring" contacts. This I think caused the contact on the leaf spring to erode to the point where contact could not be made at all. Mine is switching forward/reverse real nice now, but apparently, still partially broken for the power contacts.

JPG, thanks, yes 5 and 5a do have a jumper. The black and white wires from the power cord are tied directly to the black and white from the motor, bypassing the L1's and L2's altogether. I think it is basically the same. The switch across L1's and L2's is just acting like a DPST to make the same connection. If the switch is at the wall or an in-line cord switch I think that would be fine, right? As tested, the L1 to L1 blue (as printed on the back of the switch) had no continuity, I tested it several times. I see now that it should, so the switch is still not really fixed anyway. It is making connection in forward which likely means I somehow mixed up the switching plates. Disappointing, I thought I was very careful to not mix up the switching plates too (sigh), I will save that problem for later as it is working well enough to move forward.

The Taiss switch said its middle position was off, no connections. I didn't think it completely through, but thought with 12 possible pins there could be a way to make it work?

Would you be able to tell me which wire colors go with which winding? I am thinking I may have already damaged the leads or the winding shellac and I would like to continuity test the windings before moving on. I don't want to try to hook it back up to power with the wires in the way they are.

Thanks for the continued help guys.
P.s. I am not getting notifications when people reply. I checked all the boxes on the notifications page. What am I missing?
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Would silver soldering the corroded contacts make a more functional repair?
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I missed the 12 terminal option.

That will allow direction switching and power on/off (single pole).

Red to Red wh is the start winding.

Black to White is the run winding.

The start circuit includes the internal start switch and internal connections across the run windings.

I now believe the drawings are suspect ( or I have forgotten how I had them figured out before)????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lahola1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 pm Would silver soldering the corroded contacts make a more functional repair?
I doubt they would survive. Part of the problem with these switches is the leaf springs lose temper due to heat and thus lose their ability to function as springs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

miken wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:56 pm P.s. I am not getting notifications when people reply. I checked all the boxes on the notifications page. What am I missing?
Mike -
I just read everything, :)

but some things you could check

- when you make selections in the Control Panel, you have to click Submit (bottom right) for the changes to take effect.

- if you have notifications they are flagged at the "bell"-Notifications (upper right) click to get a drop down menu

- read the description of the notification types. with the exception of "someone quotes you in a post" the rest do not activate unless you have subscribed to the topic. To subscribe to a topic. just above the first post on a page click on the wrench icon (next to the "Post a Reply" button) and choose Subscribe Topic, or Bookmark Topic.

- unless things have changed with the new version of the phpBB software, the the screen does not automatically update when things like notifications happen, you need to refresh the screen either by using your browsers refresh button or by navigating to a new screen. Note, using the browser back button does not update the screen, it just reloads the previous screen from a cache on your computer.

- if you have selected to receive Notifications by Email, be sure you have entered your Email address in the
User Control Panel - Profile - Edit Account Settings - Email Address box.
Screenshot from 2020-11-29 23-57-20.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-29 23-57-20.png (91.67 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Thank you, the notifications started working.
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG, a couple questions. You said the Taiss 12 terminal switch may work, but then you added (single pole). What do you mean? Do I need a double pole switch? Also, I get continuity across the black and white (run winding) but the red wire has no continuity with any other wire. Does that mean the start winding is bad, or is the start capacitor blocking continuity? I'm not sure how to test.

FYI, Simon'e on ebay can't help me. He only does very minor repairs. It was worth a try.

Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When I said single pole, I was referring to the input power switching. Only the hot will be switched. The neutral will be connected permanently. That take up 4 of the available 12. 2 each for forward and reverse.

I may have misspoke when I said the red was a direct connection to the start winding.

Do you understand re the shrink tubing?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

I will ask more questions if I ever get to the switch fix. I was just trying to figure out if the windings were still good. Yes, I understand about the shrink tubing. I have been looking for some on Amazon, a lot of them have glue inside, but I think the glue would melt so I am looking for some without glue and longer lengths. I really miss Radio Shack. One wire is going to be a real pain to cover but its worth trying. Too bad they don't just make replacement parts, I would gladly pay the money for new parts..I am going to just try to shrink wrap and get the thing back together. If it still works after that I will ask you for some help with the switch and connections. Thank you for the help. Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When helping with the taiss switch I will be referring to the original motor connections to the original switch.

BTW I like the taiss solution!!!.. However realize one must delay between switching direction. The switch only affects direction from stopped condition. That is one reason the original design was so convoluted(stop operate key...).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝