squeezed top slots on 520 fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Re: squeezed top slots on 520 fence

Post by hfmann »

Measuring was a great idea. Thanks Russ.

I used Dusty's idea of pressing a nut through the slots to expand them. That helped, but not fully. I then modified John's suggestion a little by clamping the fence on its side to the anvil on my vise, forcing the T-nut out just enough to put a punch up against it and tap it with a hammer until the nut was loose enough to slide right on out. Did same with the other side and it also worked. However, the slot on one side of the fence tightened up a little. Not so much to prevent a nut being inserted freely, just a little tighter than totally loose. The nuts are now sliding freely on all four slots of the fence. Here''s the before and after measurements. I'm totally going to be more careful with future care of this fence.
Miter Slots.JPG
Miter Slots.JPG (46.62 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Thanks all.

hal
Last edited by hfmann on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

hfmann wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm Measuring was a great idea. Thanks Russ.

I used Dusty's idea of pressing a nut through the slots to expand them. That helped, but not fully. I then modified John's suggestion a little by clamping the fence on its to the anvil on my vise, forcing the T-nut out just enough to put a punch up against it and tap it with a hammer until the nut was loose enough to slide right on out. Did same with the other side and it also worked. However, the slot on one side of the fence tightened up a little. Not so much to prevent a nut being inserted freely, just a little tighter than totally loose. The nuts are now sliding freely on all four slots of the fence. Here''s the before and after measurements. I'm totally going to be more careful with future care of this fence.
Miter Slots.JPG

Thanks all.

hal

Good idea. As I said my wife doped one of ours and it hit dead on one of the out feed end corners. It is visibly bent. I will try what you did. It should work.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Hey John,

Glad to hear. Anxious to hear how it works for you.

I forgot to include the word "side" when I said I clamped it to the anvil. By clamping on the side, I was able to force the edge away from the center and not affect the other slot. I fixed the post by adding the word "side".

cheers,

hal
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I may likely catch a bunch of flack for suggesting this, but IF the squeeze was indeed caused by dropping the outer rear corners on the floor, then IIWM I would do the following.

Using wide jaw pliers(channel lock/vice grip) with deeply notched jaws slip the lower corner and the inner upper corner in the jaw notches and rotate so as to pull the squeezed lip outward. I doubt it will take much to free up the slot for the tnut.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange