squeezed top slots on 520 fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

squeezed top slots on 520 fence

Post by hfmann »

I didn't notice this until I tried to slide a sliding t-nut into the top slots of my 520 fence. Apparently I've dropped it enough times on the concrete floor to slightly squeeze the end of the top two slots just enough to prevent the nut from sliding in. How should I go about expanding that slot without damaging anything else?

hal
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: squeezed top slots on 520 fence

Post by jsburger »

hfmann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 pm I didn't notice this until I tried to slide a sliding t-nut into the top slots of my 520 fence. Apparently I've dropped it enough times on the concrete floor to slightly squeeze the end of the top two slots just enough to prevent the nut from sliding in. How should I go about expanding that slot without damaging anything else?

hal
My wife dropped one of my 520 fences about a month ago. It bent one of the out feed corners on top. I have not tried to fix it yet. However, my plan is to clamp the fence on its side with the end just overhanging the bench where the bend starts. Then using a large pin punch (1/2") and hammer to straighten the bent corner of the fence. A solid table and clamping very close to the bend is essential for this method.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Picture? Depending on how much is damaged, you could put a chamfer of the end with the disc sander. Or you could possibly just dress the dinged portion with a small file. If you start the T-Nut from the other end, how close does it get before there is interference?

- David
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

If it is minor and you don't use the top track of the fence very often maybe just alter the t-nut?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

stew wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:24 pm If it is minor and you don't use the top track of the fence very often maybe just alter the t-nut?
I doubt that anyone that uses T nuts has just one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can not slide t-nuts into thew front of my two fences. If I slide them in from the outfeed end they work fine. I have never dropped my fence.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks all,

I can get the nuts in from the front. They bind and stop when I get them to about 1 1/2 inches from the back side. I thought about inserting a-nut at the front and forcing it out the backside with a punch and hammer.
t-nut on 520 fence.jpg
t-nut on 520 fence.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
hal
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is a rule in my shop (yes, occasionally it is ignored) that demands "no hammers".

If I was to do anything about this, I would try to draw a t-nut through the slot using pressure (clamps) and not impact force.

We are looking at the out feed end of the fence - are we not? Is the t-nut being squeezed by the top rail of the miter slot? If so, many a bit of cautious filing with a fine file. Are both t-slots the same way?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Yes Dusty - on all counts.
I really like your solution. Seems much safer.

It is the outfeed end.
If I understand your comment correctly. Both slots are affected. I can't tell what part of the t=nit is binding. At first I thought it was just the upper part of the slot that ridges over the wings of the t-nut. But I suppose the whole nut could be squeezed. It look to me like those edges were bent in slightly when the hit the floor. You can see the small dents on the corners of the fence where the impact occurred.
Inkedt-nut on 520 fence_LI.jpg
Inkedt-nut on 520 fence_LI.jpg (103.87 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Maybe some careful measuring of the width of the "T" slot top opening (blue arrows) and the height of the slot (red arrows) on both the damaged and undamaged ends would give a better idea if the pinching is from the side or the top of the fence. For the opening width (blue arrows) measure both the top opening and the channel width below it. That should give you the area(s) on which to file.
Fence End.jpg
Fence End.jpg (127.04 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.