Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lalkie01
Gold Member

Re: Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Post by lalkie01 »

I checked again and it is 7 degrees past 90. I cant see anything that is damaged or out of alignment. My 510 goes about 2 degrees past 90 and it works fine. I put it in drill press mode and lifted the other end, it seems real light compared to the 510. The locking screw while in drill press mode is above the hole it needs to be in. I have to lean the drill press back to engage that screw in the hole. When I do that it seems wobbly with just he lock screw in place. Larry
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

lalkie01 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm I checked again and it is 7 degrees past 90. I cant see anything that is damaged or out of alignment. My 510 goes about 2 degrees past 90 and it works fine. I put it in drill press mode and lifted the other end, it seems real light compared to the 510. The locking screw while in drill press mode is above the hole it needs to be in. I have to lean the drill press back to engage that screw in the hole. When I do that it seems wobbly with just he lock screw in place. Larry
The locking screw is not supposed to be in the center of the hole. It is designed to be off set. Put in DP mode and lock the screw and see how it is.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When we have seen this before, and we have, the tubes were not inserted correctly and the whole end casting is tilted. Can't say this is the same issue but that sure is a good place to start. If you can get a picture of the machine from the front side it is normally pretty easy to see. Again there are threads on this if you care to search for them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I suggest thee get down on hands and knees and look UNDER the right end base and ascertain IF the bench tubes are inserted far enough so as to bear on the second set of bearing 'ribs'. I think they are not and can 'rock' on the inner set of ribs. The ends of the bench tubes should be quite close to the spt mounting tube bores.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Measure the length of the exposed bench tubes. If they are properly inserted into the castings on both ends they will measure a tad over 48".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Also check for any deformation of the Bench tubes around the clamps. Some POs have been known to grossly overtighten the mounting bolts and partially crush the tubes. Going back to my first post in this thread if you are using some kind of angle gauge you can measure the flats on the lower Base casting, they should be essentially the same angle as the base tubes. Anything different would point to a problem with how the Base is mounted to the tubes. I'm referring to the flats where the upper casting land as a stop in DP position:

Base.jpg
Base.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 974 times

- David
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

The part of the bench tube that is exposed is 48 inches. If I put it in DP mode and set the angle at 90 degrees there is a 7/16 gap between the right hand base and the end of the base for the way tubes. I don't have a digital level but the lower base casting looks to be the same as the one pictured above. I haven't been able to add pictures.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

7/16"

???????????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

lalkie01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am ...I don't have a digital level...
A smart phone app will work for this. I used to use a free one (Android), but I found it had a great deal of error as the angle moved away from zero, close to 10%, so I went to the Wixey. The phone app was very useful for measuring near 0, but you wouldn't want to use it to set a table angle. A small level would be close enough for this.
JPG wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 am 7/16"
If I did the math right 7 degrees would equate to more like 3/4" here and over 6" at the end of the tubes. If I'm understanding what the OP measured. I shimmed one with washers, almost 1/2" worth, and it measured just under 5 degrees.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

" The locking screw while in drill press mode is above the hole it needs to be in."

This earlier statement has me pondering.

ABOVE the hole? That IS consistent with over rotation.

It also leads us back to bench tube/base assembly.

I continue to think the cause resides there.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝