Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lalkie01
Gold Member

Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Post by lalkie01 »

I have a 510 and just purchased a 520. My 510 drill press rotates to 90 degrees the 520 rotates about 7 degrees past 90. I measured both. What could be the problem? I have looked at about everything and cant seem to see a problem. It feels like it might balance over if i begin using it. Any help would be appreciated. Larry
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Post by DLB »

Always a good idea if you can post some pics. Possible that the Base casting is not straight (level) on the bench tubes? If you can measure the 'flats' on the lower Base casting (where the upper Base Arm casting lands in the DP position, they should be at the same angle as the bench tubes. Anything else I can think of would be visible damage to one or both of the Base castings.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can't verify 7 degrees past vertical but mine goes past vertical in the drill press mode. I believe that is an intentional design characteristic. If it was stopped at 90 degrees (or less) it would be subject to "falling back". As designed, it has passed the center of gravity and is stopped from going further.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I just measured one within a couple of tenths of 90 degrees. I don't think it's going to matter which Base Assembly version, but this was one of the older types with the Way Tube setscrews hidden and, IIRC, larger diameter hinge pin. I'll check one of the newer types with the setscrews on top later, I expect the same results.

Are there any modifications or unusual wear relating to the Base Assembly? Is the hinge pin straight? Is the hinge pin the correct diameter to go with this Base? Are the 'flats' on the lower casting flat? These are probably all among things the OP has already checked.

- David
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If the work table is set 90 deg to the spindle then going slightly past vertical will not make any difference. The table will still be perpendicular to the spindle. Looks a bit funky but does not affect performance
Bill
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I measured one with the newer style Base, way tube setscrews on top, and it also measured within a couple of tenths of 90 degrees relative to the base tubes. This seems to be the intent of the design.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are at least a couple of threads on this but the one I found was this one:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3381&hilit=vertical+angle

Please take the time to read and if you feel up to it do some more searching.

Base line is that the tilt is less then 90 degrees but not that far off as 7 degrees. If it is really 7 degrees then something else is wrong.......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I don't see how the base lock screw could be far enough off to allow it to rotate to 97 degrees.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Before commenting on this, I need to know HOW the 7° was 'measured'.

Withuout that I hazard a guess that the bench tubes are not fully into the base correctly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Larry,

Besides other questions already asked, I would also be curious as to when your two Mark V's were made and if they are still original parts. The bench and headstock are the same no matter which Mark V it is when made at the same time. Examples, a Mark V 510 and a 520 made in 2000 would be the same except for the fence system.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.