Shopsmith part?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DocSurg
Silver Member

Shopsmith part?

Post by DocSurg »

I started to rifle through a box of "extras" that came with my 520 recently, and found something I had forgotten about -- this piece of aluminum that looks and feels as if it belongs to a part of the 520 table upgrade. I cannot find anything like it in the catalog or parts from the mothership. It's handy as a straightedge, but if anyone has an idea as to what it may be I'd be grateful. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!
Attachments
IMG_0190.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith part?

Post by jsburger »

That is the 520 rail alignment gauge. It is used to align the 520 fence rails with the table when you upgrade a 510 to the 520 pro fence system.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DocSurg
Silver Member

Post by DocSurg »

Ah -- makes sense. Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:03 pm That is the 520 rail alignment gauge. It is used to align the 520 fence rails with the table when you upgrade a 510 to the 520 pro fence system.
Is there more than one version? I have a couple of these, but they are pretty small IIRC. I don't think I would describe them as a handy straightedge.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:35 pm
jsburger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:03 pm That is the 520 rail alignment gauge. It is used to align the 520 fence rails with the table when you upgrade a 510 to the 520 pro fence system.
Is there more than one version? I have a couple of these, but they are pretty small IIRC. I don't think I would describe them as a handy straightedge.

- David
I didn't say that but OK. :)

Yes, there are two different lengths and they are pretty short. I am not sure I would call them different versions, just different lengths and they both come with the 520 pro fence upgrade. The long one is for the main table rails and the short one is for the extension/floating table rails.

I don't know/remember why the long one would not work for the extension/floating tables. It has been a LONG time since I upgraded my 510.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:04 pm I didn't say that but OK. :)
The OP originally mentioned the straightedge capability. :)

I just checked, mine are about 4" long. It seems to me that these are potentially useful to anyone with the 520 table system, not just those that upgrade. I recently watched a utube video in which the guy had replaced his main table's damaged front rail and the new one was obviously positioned too low.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:00 am

I just checked, mine are about 4" long. It seems to me that these are potentially useful to anyone with the 520 table system, not just those that upgrade. I recently watched a utube video in which the guy had replaced his main table's damaged front rail and the new one was obviously positioned too low.

- David
Too Low by what standard. It really does not matter where the rails are positioned so long as all of the rails are positioned at the same level (with reference to table top).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:45 am
DLB wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:00 am

- David
Too Low by what standard. It really does not matter where the rails are positioned so long as all of the rails are positioned at the same level (with reference to table top).
I presume too low by the gauge standard.

Help me understand how much variance is possible. How much hole/screw slop? Never had those parts in hand. Kep nuts like 510?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The intended use:
520 Table Rail Alignment Tool
520 Table Rail Alignment Tool
Alignment Gauge for 520 Table and May7be Fence.jpg (132.43 KiB) Viewed 927 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:52 am I presume too low by the gauge standard.

Help me understand how much variance is possible. How much hole/screw slop? Never had those parts in hand. Kep nuts like 510?
Yes, in in effect the gauge is the standard. I'm not aware of anywhere that we can see it written in the form of X +/- Y inches (I suspect metric units). By measuring my gauge I conclude that the standard (in my shop) is the top of the extrusion should be 0.411" below the table surface. The one I mentioned was visibly wrong based on inconsistent gap between fence and table; the replaced front extrusion was too low. (Probably would defeat the Al Gale direct reading scale. ;) ) And possibly not parallel to the table surface. But I agree with Dusty that we could impose some standard other than the jig as long as we are consistent.

Yep, kep nuts. I think the slop (adjustment range) is the same as 510. Only real difference is a flat head screw countersunk into the 520 extrusion as opposed to a stud welded(?) to the 510 tube. Not a large amount of variance is possible, but I did not measure.

The jigs appear to be nothing more than cut off pieces of an Aluminum alloy extrusion. I don't recognize the extrusion. MIne are marked, probably by the PO as there is no evidence of markings in the OP's photo. Smart use of a Sharpie, though, given the infrequency of use. "SS 520 Alignment Jig."

- David