bandsaw blade alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

bandsaw blade alignment

Post by STB »

I just watched Nick's Workshop Companion Reindeer video. One of the first things he did was to check that the bandsaw blade was 90 deg to the table both front to back and side to side. My front to back alignment is way out (see picture). After a review of the Bandsaw alignment procedure I did not find a front to back alignment procedure. My question is how do you make this alignment? My guess would be to shim the table trunnion.
Bandsaw blade allignment.jpg
Bandsaw blade allignment.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: bandsaw blade alignment

Post by edma194 »

How did you determine the blade was perfectly vertical as opposed to the table being off horizontal?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

What you see is a shopsmith design intent and for re-sawing and the likes it was believed to help clear the kerf. All shopsmith band saws are that way and if you want it vertical you do have to shim it. In thinner stock the angle is not much of an issue and I have cut the deer without having the blade vertical but it does leave a small but noticeable difference.

I normally leave the angle but do have shims that I put in for certain times or switch to my Carter system for intricate cutting.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

edma194 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:44 pm How did you determine the blade was perfectly vertical as opposed to the table being off horizontal?
Interesting thought I have no clue, all I know is the front to back alignment is not 90 deg. to table. The lower wheel and tensioning arm are in a fixed position on the frame. If the vertical alignment is not correct my thinking is that would mean a twisted frame and the band saw would have a real problem.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

reible wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:57 pm What you see is a shopsmith design intent and for re-sawing and the likes it was believed to help clear the kerf. All shopsmith band saws are that way and if you want it vertical you do have to shim it. In thinner stock the angle is not much of an issue and I have cut the deer without having the blade vertical but it does leave a small but noticeable difference.

I normally leave the angle but do have shims that I put in for certain times or switch to my Carter system for intricate cutting.

Ed
Thanks for the incite I was thinking the worst (bent frame) What is a Carter system?
Glenn

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

STB wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Thanks for the incite I was thinking the worst (bent frame) What is a Carter system?
It is bandsaw guides from Carter:

https://carterproducts.com/catalogsearc ... =shopsmith
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Just aligned my SS bandsaw, it has the old iron table, the blade is perpendicular to the table. The rear blade guides set this up, they're in line vertically above and below the table . It shouldn't matter for re-sawing or any straight through cuts, but for intricate work you need the blade to be perpendicular to the table. As shown in the picture above the bottom of the blade will move further into the wood than the top as you cut, if you turn the piece the sides of the cut won't be right, and it's likely to bind on a tight radius.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How come it ain't perpendicular to the table? It ain't supposed to be!

The auto track system creates an off vertical slant to the blade relative to the table. Canted and beveled wheels.

Shimming the table(making it off horizontal) will eliminate that slant, but at the expense of the table not being co-planer with the main table etc.

This problem could not have been eliminated by skewing the blade path without having the input drive shaft also skewed or a flexible coupling(universal joint).

So the skewed blade path is the lesser of the evils.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmmm!

IF it is a serious response, it is sadly misinformed.(too self contradictory fer me)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

It's not -- note the link spam at the end. I've reported it....
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466