Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:53 pm I had difficulty removing the springs from broken couplers and ultimately discarded them. I'll never learn. I keep things I never use again and then discard what I need.
Has anyone tried to find a spring replacement in the past for the couplers? Wondering if something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Yuyuvan-Compress ... 385&sr=8-2
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:58 pm
dusty wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:53 pm I had difficulty removing the springs from broken couplers and ultimately discarded them. I'll never learn. I keep things I never use again and then discard what I need.
Has anyone tried to find a spring replacement in the past for the couplers? Wondering if something like this would work:

can you replace the spring on a SS coupler? If so why?

The OP says he can supply couplers with springs on either end or both ends. Why? The reason for the SS coupler spring on the head stock end is so that when you move the head stock to remove an SPT the coupler remains with the SPT. Or at least is not on the head stock. That way when you start the head stock the coupler does not come flying off if you forgot it was there. SAFETY
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:58 pm

can you replace the spring on a SS coupler? If so why?

The OP says he can supply couplers with springs on either end or both ends. Why? The reason for the SS coupler spring on the head stock end is so that when you move the head stock to remove an SPT the coupler remains with the SPT. Or at least is not on the head stock. That way when you start the head stock the coupler does not come flying off if you forgot it was there. SAFETY
i.e. spring the headstock end ONLY!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I am not supplying springs. Only a nylon coupler. I made the coupler symmetric, so in theory a spring could be used at either end or both. I'm not advocating dual springs, nor a spring at the SPT end while in use, and am going to edit my prior post. I should have never mentioned it.

Sorry for any confusion and/or misinformation.
Last edited by paulrussell on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I had to drive them out, cut the coupler, or both. The Shopsmith coupler shaft is tapered slightly and the end of the spring can really get wedged in tight.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulrussell wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:20 pm To those who are getting the first batch of couplers:

You should have gotten a PM from me.

Using a Shopsmith spring on the headstock end will make removal of the coupler much easier. The coupler is intentionally a bit snug when new. After a couple uses the slight "ribbed" texture to the 3d printed part that should smooth out on the mating surfaces.

BTW: I prefer my couplers to have a snugger fit than the white couplers I've purchased over the last few years. The fit is closer to my old-school nylon coupler.
tbolish wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:56 am I’d be interested in check one of these out if you have any more available. Thanks!
I'll keep you in mind for round 2. I want to get feedback from a few users before I move forward.
I received mine yesterday. I plan to install it today in a band saw configuration first. Why? The bandsaw configuration is the easiest for me to get properly aligned couplers. I don't want to break this before I can use it. I did not retain the springs from my two broken couplers so I will be testing without the spring. I will wax to hubs to assist in coupler removal. I will post result later - much later.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Congratulations on a job well done. The coupler fits the hubs just great.

I had to fine tune hub alignment but that was not the fault of the coupler. Gotta conduct an investigation to determine who done it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

dusty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:14 am Congratulations on a job well done. The coupler fits the hubs just great.

I had to fine tune hub alignment but that was not the fault of the coupler. Gotta conduct an investigation to determine who done it.
Thanks for the update Dusty! Looking forward to hearing more, be it good or bad.

For those who might be wondering, the 3D printed coupler has a slight surface texture as a result of the printing process. I anticipate that this will smooth out where the coupler mates after a few uses, thus very slightly enlarging the socket. For that reason the couplers are just a bit snug, so that after a bit of use they fit perfectly. At least that is the plan.
So I suggest a bit of wax to ease removal during this break-in period. An original Shopsmith spring really helps at the headstock end.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

After setting up and making a few test cuts, I pulled the headstock away from the bandsaw (to disconnect). Unlike normal, the coupler remained with the headstock (no spring). The coupler was a bit stubborn in that it did not pull off easily. This could be a perfect way to "break couplers". Pull straight away - no wiggling.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Dusty
Yes. Without the spring it is tricky. WIth a spring it pops right off -- at least on my machine. It was a really tough design decision as to how snug the couplers should fit, especially since I believe they will loosen up a bit after some use. One of my pet peeves of the later white couplers is that I found them a bit loose compared to the vintage editions.
However, I might need to rethink how snugly these the fit as I get more feedback.