Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Post by dusty »

paulrussell wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22 am Dusty
Yes. Without the spring it is tricky. WIth a spring it pops right off -- at least on my machine. It was a really tough design decision as to how snug the couplers should fit, especially since I believe they will loosen up a bit after some use. One of my pet peeves of the later white couplers is that I found them a bit loose compared to the vintage editions.
However, I might need to rethink how snugly these the fit as I get more feedback.
Think long and hard before you make that change. I sorta like them snug (as this one is).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

dusty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am I sorta like them snug (as this one is).
Me too.

Also, the couplers have a _very_ slight taper (0.5 degrees) to hopefully maintain a snug fit over time.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I suggest increasing the clearance on the larger id areas and leave the smaller id(nubs so to speak)tight. The nubs will wear quickly whereas the larger id areas will wear slowly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

JPG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:05 pm I suggest increasing the clearance on the larger id areas and leave the smaller id(nubs so to speak)tight. The nubs will wear quickly whereas the larger id areas will wear slowly.
Great suggestion, thank you.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Received mine today Paul. It will take me a little while to get back on my feet and actually use it. When I do I'll take a spring from another one and just start using this for everything for a while and just find out what happens.

I like the look and feel of it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

One of Paul's couplers has been driving my Shopsmith bandsaw for a while now. There's really nothing to say because it's working just fine, I wouldn't know it wasn't a Shopsmith part.

While digging my down through boxes of parts and tools I ran into some older couplers and figured this is as good a place as any to post a picture of them for comparison.
couplers.jpg
couplers.jpg (165.46 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
The one at the top came with my first Shopsmith, a 1954 Greenie I acquired in the early 90s. That may be the original box.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I too have one that is doing its job with absolutely no problems. Mine does not have a spring but I do not see that to be a problem.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Same here, but I bought a spring to use in mine. Spring probably isn't needed though unless the coupler fits super tight on the hub.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

All:
Thanks for the feedback I'm really happy to hear that they are meeting expectations.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

The box in the picture above is the original box the top coupler would have come in minus the insert and 4 hubs. Thought you might like to see the different couplers used over the years.

_
Power Couplers.jpg
Power Couplers.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
_
Notice that the original coupler (top) attached directly to the shafts without hubs.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.