Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Post by paulrussell »

I needed a coupler so I modeled a close copy of the original. I need to pull springs from worn-out couplers. Both printed in PETG. If it doesn't hold up I'll reprint with carbon-fiber reinforced nylon.
20201225_122313.jpg
20201225_122313.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Yet another 3D printed coupler design

Post by DLB »

paulrussell wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:29 pm I needed a coupler so I modeled a close copy of the original. I need to pull springs from worn-out couplers. Both printed in PETG. If it doesn't hold up I'll reprint with carbon-fiber reinforced nylon.20201225_122313.jpg
They look really nice. The originals are known(?) to be Zytel and hold up pretty well. I know many originals are still in service after 60+ years, I have one that old myself. And I know you can get Zytel filament. Any reason for not making the replacements out of Zytel? Does it not 'print' well?

- David
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

DLB wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:05 pm Any reason for not making the replacements out of Zytel? Does it not 'print' well?
Simply because I don't have any in my filament stock. However, it looks like Zytel is simply a branded Nylon, and I do have the carbon fiber reinforced nylon I mentioned above, and I'll be making one from that later today.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

The PETG worked ok, but not as well as an original. So far, the CF reinforced nylon is working great. I made the coupler in homage to the original, but a few design modifications might be in order to best accommodate the differences in material and manufacturing technology.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Paul,

Are you selling any of these? If so, how much for 1 or 2 carbon-fiber reinforced nylon ones?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is a market. After all my many years with a Mark V and the original couplers - yesterday I broke two. They didn't just crack they exploded into pieces. Without doing anything other than inspecting the setup the third one is working fine. I don't think it was an overload!! I was cutting 4" foam for a chair cushion.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Zytel is a yellowish looking nylon material. Recent couplers are white. I do not think the newer ones are zytel.

My 60+ yr old was yellowish when new. I have yet to damage a yellowish one. Not so the white ones.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Since I only have a few hours use on this, I'm not prepared to say it is ready for prime time. Some abuse and perhaps intentional abuse are in order.

One cosmetic issue is due to the limitations of 3d printing. The best orientation for printing this is standing on end. As such, the underside of the upper coupler is "unsupported" when it starts to print and ends up a bit ragged.
Several possibilities:
1) Live with it.
2) Along with the part, print a removable support structure. This is a common remedy, but wastes expensive material and takes a lot more time. (The coupler currently takes about 2.5 hours to print.)
3) Replace the fillet between the shaft and the coupler end with a somewhat 45 degree bevel -- this would print cleanly. It further occured to me that this might also provide a great visual differentiator for headstock/tool if done on only one end.
20201226_115028.jpg
20201226_115028.jpg (191.89 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If you do start making them I could use a couple of ends to try some things.

It might be impractical for you to keep printing the central tube if it could be replaced by a piece of stock tubing glued to the ends.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

edma194 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:47 pm If you do start making them I could use a couple of ends to try some things.

It might be impractical for you to keep printing the central tube if it could be replaced by a piece of stock tubing glued to the ends.
That could be a good option. Thanks for the idea.