Pro Planer cutter head pulley replacement?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

FraudDog
Bronze Member

Pro Planer cutter head pulley replacement?

Post by FraudDog »

My cutter head has a flat on the shaft for the set screw and a keyway slot 180 degrees from the flat. The pulley that was on it was cheap die cast and it apparently wasn't tightened properly and the pulley is loose on the shaft. The shaft looks to be fine.

My question is what pulley (brand, size etc) would work as a replacement. I see SS used to have an upgrade kit, but it is no longer available.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Pro Planer cutter head pulley replacement?

Post by br549 »

Not sure exactly what the upgrade kit included, but the Service Diagram and Parts List for a Pro Planer Stand shows both the 3" (cutter head) and 5" (motor) pulleys available. The link to upgrade may just not be working, so you might have to call and talk to Customer Service about its availability.

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/pro_p ... iagram.htm
https://www.shopsmith.com/service/pro_p ... s_list.htm
https://www.shopsmith.com/shopping-cart/cart.htm

Mine is a Mark V Mounted, so I don't have these pulleys. Others who have a Pro Planer will do doubt chime in too to let you know about other options.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Pulley is part number 517913 and is reference number 112 in the Por Planer stand parts list. Check the Service Parts listing here on the Shopsmith site. The cutter head is kind of a universal one now that fits the different planers and their connections for power. The Mark Mounted Planer uses the flat for a hub to be powered by Mark series tool with a power coupler. The Por Planer uses the keyed side of the shaft with a keyed pulley. The picture below shows both sides of the cutter head shaft end. If you do not have a key for the shaft you will want to get one also. Check the keyway in the shaft to see if it needs a Woodruff Key or a square key.
Planer Cutter Head end labeled.jpg
Planer Cutter Head end labeled.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
FraudDog
Bronze Member

Post by FraudDog »

Thanks for the information. I found steal pulleys in 3 inch and 5 inch at tractor supply that fit the keyed shafts. Now I have to figure out how to get the 5 inch pully on with enough clearance from the legs. This planer originally had a 3 inch motor pulley.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Read through the thread in this link, the solution is in the final post. :)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4367&hilit=pro+planer+pulley+stand
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,