Installing Bandsaw Tires

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Installing Bandsaw Tires

Post by rlkeeney »

My first set of tires were the orange ones. They stretched and came off. I bought a pair of blue tires, and those worked well for a while and then came off and got chewed up by the blade—my fault. Putting these on was a struggle. Both times it took a couple of hours to get them on, finally.

I purchased another set of the Blue Max belts.

I changed the tires on my bandsaw yesterday for the third time. I finally figured out how to do it. I did not heat the tire or any of that nonsense. I discovered that you have to keep the wheel from moving and hold the belt in place. I have tried every sort of clamp you can imagine, only to have them pop off and go flying across the shop.

It finally dawned on me to try hand screw clamps. Hand screws are made of wood, so no worries about damaging the wheel. You can apply a lot of pressure with these clamps. Not only did they hold the belt very well, but I managed to stretch the tire onto the wheel the first try.

I used spring clamps on the bottom wheel to stop the wheel from moving when I pulled down on the tire. I didn't do this on the top wheel, and it was a bit more complicated.

20210101 143216 Toymakers Shop Installing Bandsaw Tires Shopsmith.resized.jpg
20210101 143216 Toymakers Shop Installing Bandsaw Tires Shopsmith.resized.jpg (123.65 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
20210101 144219 Toymakers Shop Installing Bandsaw Tires Shopsmith.resized.jpg
20210101 144219 Toymakers Shop Installing Bandsaw Tires Shopsmith.resized.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory