Lift Assist Gas Cylinder

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Lift Assist Gas Cylinder

Post by dusty »

What is the extended and compressed length of the Lift Assist Gas Cylinder?

What is the "Force" rating of the gas cylinder?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist Gas Cylinder

Post by wa2crk »

Dusty
The compressed and extended length can be determined easily by measurement if you have one installed. I do know that the "force" is very high. When I had mine off there was no way that I could put enough pressure to compress the cylinder one little bit. Just look at the geometry of the machine and you will quickly realize that the "force" will have to be very high to overcome the leverages to perform the task especially when the headstock is at the left end of the way tubes. I am a bit under the weather right now due to a fall in my driveway or I would go to the shop and take some measurements.
Bill V
PS Sometime in the past I tried to find a second source on the internet for the cylinder and came up with no results after about an hour
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty,

I have the Lift Assist on my Mark 7. The Lift Assist cylinder would be 16-1/2" if fully compressed. It does not sit fully compressed by about 1-1/2" in the down position on my Mark 7 and it measures 18" end to end. Sorry I could not get it to release to measure full extension while down. I have it set up right now so I didn't put it into Drill Press position to measure or release it. As for the "Force" rating of the gas cylinder, mine is for lifting the Power Pro Headstock and doesn't have a label on it so I cannot tell. The other cylinder has a lower rating for lifting the conventional Headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Just as an added thought my cylinder is for the conventional headstock but performs acceptably with the Power Pro headstock. I am suddenly realizing that the older I get the longer it takes to recover from an injury.
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty,

Sorry it took me this long to get the extended measurement for you. The overall length is 27" when extended.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks to all.

I finally got mine back in service. Had trouble getting the gas cylinder reattached due to extended length. Loosened all the hardware to get the slack and then tightened every thing up.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.