Newbie and Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cliffy
Gold Member

Re: Newbie and Question

Post by Cliffy »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:32 pm I have to wonder if a PO obtained the mismatched part by not realizing what it was.
That would be my guess too

Waxed the saw table and it got a lot slicker afterward (read about that in the books I got). Needed to file a few small nicks on the edges and a good flat mill file all over the top to make sure all was flat before waxing. I'm sure another coat or two will help as the aluminum absorbs more wax.
I guess the old jointer cutter had some kind of fixture to go one the head shaft to turn it but I don't have that or the fence anyway.
Maybe its now just a paper weight :-)

Anyone with ideas on new tires for the band saw? Mine have lots of cracks in them.
That is one item the PO used by the looks of it. No bandsaw fence though so I guess I'll need to make one.
I'll be searching the files here tonight
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ignore the cracks until they present an actual 'problem'.

The jointer 'head' mounted directly on the quill shaft.

If in decent condition, it will sell on e-bay.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

Its brand new in the box condition

THX
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Link to manual for the Jointer Shaper fence showing it in use on a 1Oer
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/338/2705.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Cliffy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 pm I'm sure another coat or two will help as the aluminum absorbs more wax.
I've heard that to be true for cast iron surfaces, but not sure it applies to aluminum. As the aluminum table is used, it will need re-waxing, and any remaining old wax can be first removed with mineral spirits, or the new wax itself will dissolve any existing wax.
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

The SS manual actually says that the aluminum absorbs the wax as more coats are put on.
Whether or not it really does ? Who knows They just say it does
I agree that any surface wax will be removed with a hew coat

br549- my parents lived in Clear Lake when they were building the freeway between HOU and Galveston 50 years ago
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't recommend using the 2-1/2" Jointer head as a paper weight. :rolleyes: Those blades are sharp and exposed, unless you keep it in the box. :eek:

Seriously, since you have the 4" Jointer SPT use it and either sell the 2-1/2" Jointer Head or store it away. I wouldn't bother getting the shaper fence for using just it.

Does your Band Saw have the Cast Iron table or the Aluminum one? For the Cast Iron table you use the Mark V's Miter as a fence and that set screw in the middle of the bar locks it in place. Depending on where you have it on the table you may need to temporally remove the "T" track washer. If you have the Aluminum table there is a fence kit for it that can be seen at the catalog link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... wfence.htm
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.