Newbie and Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cliffy
Gold Member

Newbie and Question

Post by Cliffy »

Just picked up an ebay 510 mostly complete with several attachments
Band saw
Jointer (Looks unused)
Belt Sander (never used(
Biscuit cutter (never used)
Tennon cutter (never used
2 Sanding discs (never used)
Cone sanding disk (new in box)
Straight routers and coupling (never used)
Books
New Stack dado set
Molding head and blades and table insert (looks new)
Just missing push stick kit and a couple adaptors. (5/8 saw blade and moulding head) Needs a couple small parts for the jointer
safety shield to hold it on to the stud.

Question
It also came with a "short" jointer cutter head (@ 3" long ) with blades (new in box) but I can not figure out what it goes to.
I also see it in the SS catalog. What the heck is it for?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie and Question

Post by JPG »

Part # ???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

P/N 129-12X
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 pmP/N 129-12X
Shopsmith Magna Jointer Cutter Head
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Model 10 jointer head. Useless without the jointer shaper fence that mounts INTO the table slot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

OK so it goes to a Model 10 Interesting but I wonder why someone with a 510 would even have it?
I guess stranger things have happened.
Tested the bandsaw but I'll disassemble and reset everything after lubing the bearings
Have the table saw set up and working but I'll use a different blade than what came with this saw. (combination one that cuts rough)
The jointer is in place and ready to test waiting for the guard pieces I need Not a spec of rust
The wood turning stuff is yet to be set up and tried but its all brand new and never used.
Need to order new drum sanding sleeves This may be all the unit was used for other than the saw.

Trying to get a manf date from the s/n but haven't been able to determine it yet on this site
Mine says model 555540 s/n 091493
Where else can I look for the age of this one?
Thanks all
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Cliffy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 pm OK so it goes to a Model 10 Interesting but I wonder why someone with a 510 would even have it?
I guess stranger things have happened.
Tested the bandsaw but I'll disassemble and reset everything after lubing the bearings
Have the table saw set up and working but I'll use a different blade than what came with this saw. (combination one that cuts rough)
The jointer is in place and ready to test waiting for the guard pieces I need Not a spec of rust
The wood turning stuff is yet to be set up and tried but its all brand new and never used.
Need to order new drum sanding sleeves This may be all the unit was used for other than the saw.

Trying to get a manf date from the s/n but haven't been able to determine it yet on this site
Mine says model 555540 s/n 091493
Where else can I look for the age of this one?
Thanks all
SS started using date of manufacture for the S/N some time in the 80's. Your S/N is the date of manufacture. 14 Sep 1993.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

Cool THANKS
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John said the serial numbers went to Date Coding in December 1987.

As for the 2-1/2" Jointer Cutter Head P/N 129-12X or later P/N 12 230 they were used originally on the Model 10's before the Model 4E 4" Jointer was introduced for the Model 10's. It's use continued after the Mark 5 was introduced in 1954. It was used with the Jointer Shaper Fence made for the Model 10's and the Shaper Fence (still the same one made today for the Mark V 500 today) for the Mark 5's. A less costly Jointer option but also less capacity and safety.

It is common to find parts with used Shopsmiths that do not go with the particular model you are buying both Shopsmith brand and other brand parts. It is unusual to find such an old part with a newer Shopsmith like your 1993 Mark V 510. I am guessing you got the part number from it's box. That would have it being made prior to November 1951 when all the part numbers were changed.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have to wonder if a PO obtained the mismatched part by not realizing what it was.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝