new to SS and 10E

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: new to SS and 10E

Post by chapmanruss »

You have a nice find indeed especially for the price. The Speed Changer is a valuable item giving speed varying from 450 to 6800 RPM's. Without it you can use only 7 fixed speeds with the 3 step pulleys on the motor and Drive Sleeve. See the attached PDF below for those speeds.
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf
(182.91 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
As for the belts used with the Speed Changer they are 4L220 & 4L250 size belts and are 22" & 25" belts. The Speed Changer should be repaired before trying to use it. The main frame of the assembly can be welded by someone who knows how to weld aluminum. The broken pulley sheave should be replaced unless you can find someone that can fill in the missing material than machine it back to it's original shape. You are likely to find a replacement since that is not a common part that gets broken. The PDF below is an instruction sheet for the Speed Changer but does not include the parts diagram and list.
Variable Speed Changer 131-21-1149.PDF
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Others have already mentioned the Magna Model 4E Jointer you have. It is a rare item, even more so than the Speed Changer. It looks like you have all the parts, as far as I can see from the pictures, to have a working Jointer for your Model 10E. That right there is worth well more than you paid for your Shopsmith. :D If it does not have a belt for it they are 4L320 which is a 32" belt. The belt sizes I have given are for the common A. O. Smith motor setup for the Model 10's. Your motor is different than that and belt sizes may need to vary slightly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.