ShopSmith 510R

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pretty1990
Bronze Member

ShopSmith 510R

Post by pretty1990 »

My ShopSmith 510R has a hi pitch squeal that comes on after a short time at startup and may or may not go away. I have greased grease points.
Quill bearings?
Difficulty replacing bearings ?
Best place to purchase repair parts ?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: ShopSmith 510R

Post by wa2crk »

Disconnect the V belt from the motor and run the motor again. If you still get the squeal I would assume that the motor bearings may be bad. If there is no squeal then bearings in the quill would be suspect. The R designation may be a result from someone upgrading from a 500 to a 510R. The R designation was used to indicate that an upgrade was made. The little sticker was part of the upgrade package provided by Shopsmith.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Poly-v belt tension?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:41 am Poly-v belt tension?
This was my first thought for something described as a 'squeal'.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Also, and it's just personal preference, IIWM I'd take the quill out first (after confirming belt tension). Everything else will still run with no quill so it should either confirm or eliminate quill bearings. And it's the easiest part to remove, unless you've still got that sh**, I mean stuff, preventing access to the setscrew. And if you do have that you should remove it anyway because it's probably time to clean and wax the quill after you fix the squeal.

- David
pretty1990
Bronze Member

Post by pretty1990 »

Opinion on double bearing quill, worth it or not?
Also v belt replacement. Any problem with the 1/2 inch belt most suppliers offer?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

pretty1990 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:18 pm Opinion on double bearing quill, worth it or not?
Also v belt replacement. Any problem with the 1/2 inch belt most suppliers offer?
I like the two bearing quill. It makes sense to me to improve accuracy where we can because of the areas where we can't. There is an opposing opinion, valid I'm sure, that we are less likely to bend a single bearing quill spindle. I've never bent either, I think it is most likely to occur with large turnings. Worth it? To me, yes. There are at least three versions. Easiest to replace bearings, IMO, is the second of those with two piece spindle held together with a roll pin.

V-Belt: The SS belt is generally best in terms of the speed produced matching the speed indicated. I've tried aftermarket using a standard size once with marginal results. If I was going to try aftermarket again I think I'd go metric, either the one that Jacob A sells or the same size from someone else. If there are aftermarket versions made specifically for the SS they should be okay, what I tried was a standard size. The speed control system is very sensitive to belt size.

- David
pretty1990
Bronze Member

Post by pretty1990 »

Thank you DBL. you seem well versed in my guest ions. Well understood by me.