Pro Planer speed control box problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dcottrill
Gold Member

Re: Pro Planer speed control box problem

Post by dcottrill »

Nice updates to the Post. I just recently had my speed control fail. After reading this I will have to see if mine has the same or similar failure. Is DJ1960Gold schematic of the upgraded circuit or the "new version" of the control?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dcottrill wrote:Nice updates to the Post. I just recently had my speed control fail. After reading this I will have to see if mine has the same or similar failure. Is DJ1960Gold schematic of the upgraded circuit or the "new version" of the control?
If you are referring to post 190056, that is a scematic of the Leviton lamp dimmer from HD.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
dcottrill wrote:Nice updates to the Post. I just recently had my speed control fail. After reading this I will have to see if mine has the same or similar failure. Is DJ1960Gold schematic of the upgraded circuit or the "new version" of the control?
If you are referring to post 190056, that is a scematic of the Leviton lamp dimmer from HD.
I think he meant this one on the previous page.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ah so! Missed that(too far back in time for my memory! :rolleyes: )
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

Thank you for clearing up post 190056.

When I read all the post I get the impression that there are 2 versions of the Speed Control. I have the one that looks like the one in pictures 25, 26, and 28 and then again in 29 and 30.

Will the schematic that JPG posted in #200027 ok to use? Maybe the question I should be asking can the schematic be used for both versions?

The circuit board in the one I have shows the same discoloration or burning as is in the early post back on page 3 and 4 (Shopsmith_PIC_028).
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dcottrill wrote:Thank you for clearing up post 190056.

When I read all the post I get the impression that there are 2 versions of the Speed Control. I have the one that looks like the one in pictures 25, 26, and 28 and then again in 29 and 30.

Will the schematic that JPG posted in #200027 ok to use? Maybe the question I should be asking can the schematic be used for both versions?

The circuit board in the one I have shows the same discoloration or burning as is in the early post back on page 3 and 4 (Shopsmith_PIC_028).

Not guilty!

RPD reposted that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

Sorry JPG. And it was DJ190Gold that posted the schematics the 1st time around and RPD the 2nd.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dcottrill wrote:Sorry JPG. And it was DJ190Gold that posted the schematics the 1st time around and RPD the 2nd.
De nada! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

I've been trying to research this issue (failing control switches) to come up with workable replacement part numbers. So far, making slow progress, but I wanted to just let people know that none of the Radio shack links that have been posted here still work.
That being said, if you're looking to replace the rectifier, you can find the updated link here...
https://www.radioshack.com/search?q=2761181
8A/400V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier
Catalog ?: 2761181

This is going to be a very slow project, but I will post results as I find them.
The goal is to have a complete set of replacement parts in a file, for possibly several different control switch configurations.
I am doing a lot of this over on the Facebook Shopsmith Owner's Group page.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

I came across a used variable speed switch and bought it as a backup. However, testing with it immediately shorted the coil as you can see in this pictures. It's an inductor coil and I believe the same show in the circuit diagram at http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... qru74o.jpg

Here is an image of the coil... definitely melted its insulation. Basically, there were some burned out spots on the circuit board itself (which is fairly aged and may need replacement). I jumped the spots to replicate the original board, and this caused the meltdown.

So the question is has anybody sourced a replacement inductor coil?

Thanks
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system