Easier bandsaw blade depth adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

Easier bandsaw blade depth adjustment

Post by paulrussell »

My hands are not as strong nor nimble as they once were and I find adjusting the forward/back of the blade guides a bit tough on the fingers. I've cleaned, de-burred, and lubricated it and it is still stubborn. Reading the forums it appears I'm not the only one.

I had the idea to adapt them to accept the 5/32 allen wrench, and over-engineered a solution. As it turned out, my adapter's mounting sleeve was all that was needed. Just this small increase in diameter of the adjuster makes a world of improvement!
Mine is printed, but I'm sure there are 100 other ways of achieving the same results.
20210226_142630.jpg
20210226_142630.jpg (205.69 KiB) Viewed 716 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Easier bandsaw blade depth adjustment

Post by edma194 »

I'll be installing Carter guides shortly and promised my self to look for a solution to this. Maybe a piece of plastic hose is all I need but I'm sure a good cleaning will loosen that up a little too.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Paul,

I like it. I was just looking this week at McMaster-Carr for something similar for the table system (floating, aux and main tables) threaded knobs on the underside. I think the replacement that I was looking at was called something like "comfort threaded knobs" and are supposed to be easier on the hands. I haven't decided on a replacement for it yet, but I like the idea of making more ergonomic, etc. controls for any tool. I get that the Mark V was designed 70 years ago (before ergonomics was popularized even though it had already existed for 100 years). Also for most owners this is a non-issue, but for anyone with arthritis, tendonitis, etc. in their hands I think any improvement is well worth it. Looking forward to see what other improvements you might come up with on the Mark V. Keep them coming...

P.S. If anyone has a good option for a more ergonomic replacement on the table knobs please let me know.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Another option I considered was removing the tensioning spring then drilling/tapping for a nylon set screw.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 pm I'll be installing Carter guides shortly and promised my self to look for a solution to this. Maybe a piece of plastic hose is all I need but I'm sure a good cleaning will loosen that up a little too.
Is the positioning knob not already screw driver adjustable?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:50 pm
edma194 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 pm I'll be installing Carter guides shortly and promised my self to look for a solution to this. Maybe a piece of plastic hose is all I need but I'm sure a good cleaning will loosen that up a little too.
Is the positioning knob not already screw driver adjustable?
My error.

Yes, it is screw mounted but not intended to be adjusted that way. The adjustment knob is mounted with and travels on that screw. When I attempted adjustment using a screw driver I believe I loosened the screw which might have been locktited. Now, to do the adjustment I have to immobilize the screw and use the knurled knob. (No locktite in the shop. I must have purged when we moved.)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.