Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment

Post by reible »

Of course you have fixed the shopsmith main table in drill press mode to be level? Everyone of my machines were no where near level front to back when I checked them. I now most people don't do that particular alignment so it doesn't get much discussion. Just don't assume you are level, like I said that has not ever been the case on shopsmiths I have owned or set up.

By memory it is the outfeed side that turns out low, but it has been a while..........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK I'se got my head where it doesn't belong. Fergit the relative orientation of the main table to the bandsaw table. :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I consider it forgotten. You know a lot more about the Shopsmith tools than I do in a lot of respects so I was confused by your comment.

Ed,

My Mark 7 is aligned in drill press mode for the Main Table. It is the first alignment I do on all my Shopsmith restorations too. Your comment
By memory it is the outfeed side that turns out low, but it has been a while..........
Are you referring to the Mark's main table or the Bandsaw?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm JPG,

I consider it forgotten. You know a lot more about the Shopsmith tools than I do in a lot of respects so I was confused by your comment.
. . .
Not as confused as I. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I doubt that it will happen in my life time but this sort of confusion would be less likely to occur if WE ALL would stick to the subject of a thread.

If it seems necessary to change topics - open a new thread and reference back.

The topic here was Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment but WE ended talking about Main Table Alignment in Drill Press Mode.

Hard not to get confused - Easy to confuse someone else.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry Dusty,

I am guilty of meandering off topic as one thing starts to relate to another. So for those Mark table alignment comments they can continue on the new thread you started "Main Table Alignment in Drill Press Mode." That aside I hope we cleared up the use of the Mark's Main Table's use as an extra support for the Bandsaw so there is no need to explain it further here. With that we can get back to talking about the Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment as the thread title suggests.

Later this week I hope to have time to check my other two Bandsaws and add the findings here. How the tables are mounted, what if anything is OEM or non-OEM as per the Manuals.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Actually it is relevant. If you intend to use the bandsaw and the main table together they can have issues depending on how they are set up. If you want the bandsaw to work that way then you might adjust the table different then blade to table.

Like I have mentioned I don't think people normally do the drill press alignment. My original shopsmith which the only new one I have had was not setup at the factory that way and I have done 6 more machines that were used and none of them were adjusted that way. The error is small but when you want to do things right you should also include that adjustment.

Now with the main table adjusted how close is the bandsaw table to that if that is important to you? If you never use the main table or other tables outside of the one on the bandsaw this can never be an issue but if you do then it time to look at the whole picture. If nothing else you should be aware of it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:33 pm Actually it is relevant. If you intend to use the bandsaw and the main table together they can have issues depending on how they are set up. If you want the bandsaw to work that way then you might adjust the table different then blade to table.

Like I have mentioned I don't think people normally do the drill press alignment. My original shopsmith which the only new one I have had was not setup at the factory that way and I have done 6 more machines that were used and none of them were adjusted that way. The error is small but when you want to do things right you should also include that adjustment.

Now with the main table adjusted how close is the bandsaw table to that if that is important to you? If you never use the main table or other tables outside of the one on the bandsaw this can never be an issue but if you do then it time to look at the whole picture. If nothing else you should be aware of it.

Ed
If I need to use the Main Table as an extension of the band saw table, the Main Table needs to be raised almost as far as it will go. The bottom end of the main table legs disappear upward into the carriage when the main table becomes coplanar with the band saw table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:59 pm Sorry Dusty,

I am guilty of meandering off topic as one thing starts to relate to another. So for those Mark table alignment comments they can continue on the new thread you started "Main Table Alignment in Drill Press Mode." That aside I hope we cleared up the use of the Mark's Main Table's use as an extra support for the Bandsaw so there is no need to explain it further here. With that we can get back to talking about the Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment as the thread title suggests.

Later this week I hope to have time to check my other two Bandsaws and add the findings here. How the tables are mounted, what if anything is OEM or non-OEM as per the Manuals.
Russ, no apology is needed. WE all seem to do this meandering thing. It is the nature of this group. It does, however, make it difficult from time to time to locate where a particular discussion occurred.

An added comment: The next time I gave a bandsaw table off, I am going a bit further and dismount the trunnions for a quick comparison. The way the trunnions mount, if they are identical, I am stumped as to how the difference is created.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There are variations in the Trunnions or at least how they mount between the newer Bandsaws and the older ones. I am not sure about the Trunnions themselves but the parts used to mount them to the Bandsaw's Main Frame (back) is different. This is where one of the changes in the Main Frame assembly occurred. The earlier Bandsaws have pressed in sleeves with "V"s in the ends which has been changed to slip in sleeves with smooth ends for newer/current Main Frames. Other hardware there has changed to match. I'll try to check the actual trunnions between the 1956 and the 1998 Bandsaws when I remove the tables to check for shim washers discussed before. If the Trunnions are different at all they must be very close or at least have the same mounting spacing to allow upgrading to the aluminum table from the cast iron table without including new trunnions. I am not sure when the Main Frame assembly changed but a Bandsaw made in December 1985 had the pressed in sleeved and a February 1996 has the slip in sleeves. This is a close as I can come for this change based on Bandsaws I have seen/owned.
Russ

Mark V 520