Replacing bearings on Magna 4" jointer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

phcbb
Bronze Member

Replacing bearings on Magna 4" jointer

Post by phcbb »

I have a Magna 4 in jointer model 4E sn3681. I have the owner's guide with the exploded view of parts. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the jointer head to replace the bearings. It appears to be one piece with the shaft. How do I get it out in order to get to the bearings? I know in my previous post that I wasn't planning to use the jointer attachment on my early sn6830 SS but as I have cleaned it up I plan to also use the jointer. Thanks for advice
David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Replacing bearings on Magna 4" jointer

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

The Jointer Cutter Head is a single piece that includes the shaft as shown in the exploded view drawing from the manual as part number P1126. Bearings go on the shaft on either side of the cutter head. The bearings (P/N P1126) are held in the Bearing Housing (P/N B2904 & B2905) which attaches to the Base/Outfeed table of the Jointer. It does require disassembling the Jointer and unbolting the cutter head assembly from the base to remove it. I would recommend removing the blades from the cutter head first before disassembling the other parts to avoid accidental cuts.

You will need a bearing puller to remove the old bearings and a press to install the new bearings. They can be installed by other than a press but care must be taken to not damage them during installation.

Here is the good news. Current Shopsmith 4" Jointers use the same bearings as your 1953 Model 4E Magna 4" Jointer. Besides the bearings many of the parts on your jointer can be replaced by current parts either individually like the blades or as assemblies such as the fence lock parts (fence lock wrench, hex bolt, nut and washer). I have Magna Model 4E Jointer serial number 2145 which I restored over 6 years ago and it has bearings from Shopsmith that were new in 2014. Current Bearings from Shopsmith are part number 502898 and are $9.48 each or you could find them from another supplier.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
phcbb
Bronze Member

Re: Replacing bearings on Magna 4" jointer

Post by phcbb »

Russ,
Thanks. I guess I didn't get as far along in dis-assembly as I thought. Appreciate your help.
David