Different approach

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Different approach

Post by garys »

I've been planning on modifying my cover on my bandsaw to have a hole for the wrench and a window to view it while adjusting to the blade tension. However, my experience with glass, plexiglass, or acrylic tells me that they all attract dust like a magnet. Yes, my badsaw makes lots of dust.

So, I decided to make the "window" into a "door" that can be opened if the window is too dusty to view through easily. That also makes it effortless to clean the inside of the window without removing the cover.

I used a spring loaded hinge so the door stays closed in use. Now, I'll see how I like it after I use it for a while.
bandsawclosed.jpg
bandsawclosed.jpg (142.02 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
bandsawopen.jpg
bandsawopen.jpg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Different approach

Post by dusty »

Very Nice. I like that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Question: Do you also have it rigged for dust collection? If so is there a difference between then and now? My thinking is that that open window pulls air in and down to the exhaust port at the bottom. Mine is on the bottom right. If there is no change I just might add this to my bandsaw.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

My door rotates on just one screw in the top. I don't think it will affect dust collection much but I'm am only now about to attach a dust collector port. I did put in a hole for the tension adjustment that's about 1/2" in diameter and I want to find a rubber grommet to insert in the hole that will be tight enough in the center to hold a hex wrench in place.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Mine isn't set up for dust collection so I don't know if this will affect that.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm Mine isn't set up for dust collection so I don't know if this will affect that.
FWIW, I modified my cover years ago when SS first came out with the factory cover. My window is glued to the inside of the cover. The saw has dust collection and I have never had a problem with dust on the window. However, since you don't have dust collection that might be a problem. Let us know how it turns out.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

db5,

I also installed the viewing window a few years ago, but never added a cover to it so that I could get more air into the housing for dust collection. I run a 4" dust line to the bottom right side (where the original smaller port was) and get excellent air flow and dust collection.

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The extra air might be a great idea that could make it more efficient pulling out the sawdust. If I ever get dust collection on my bandsaw, I might try it with the door open.