Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by jumpmaster »

Well. I just guess mine are just too pitted for me to get them to look like that. If I took it down so that everything was level so it would polish, there would probably be quite a bit of material lost. I mean, I could spend the next few months and several hundred dollars on scotchbrite trying to get them to look pretty and all, but at what point do I cut my losses and just continue building the machine so that I can actually use it? I mean, I’ve spent a few weeks on it now with only marginal success...just wondering what a few more weeks/months would accomplish...
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

You can definitely make it shiny in between the pits, which is pretty easy IF you have another Shopsmith to provide the polishing power. But those tubes will still be pitted, and you don’t want to reduce the OD enough to completely remove them. So I’d go with your instincts to make this one a “user”. Then when you find a nicer machine, you’ll have the perfect tool to help do a showroom restoration, if you’re so inclined.

Here’s a link to my own adventures in 10ER tube polishing:

viewtopic.php?p=270329#p270329

I don’t think I mentioned it in that thread, but to me the most important step after cleaning the tubes is to apply a good coat of Penetrol. That stuff wicks down into the pits, and seals the pores so that they will never again oxidize. When it dries, clean off the surface with mineral spirits, and topcoat with JPW (Johnson’s original paste wax). Good to go for another 70 years.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

That sounds like a great plan here...I’ll proceed...

I haven’t heard of penetrol before... I’ll need to find it here...I do have denatured alcohol and JPW in hand here, thankfully.

I called Home Depot to ask them why the sudden run on charcoal gray paint...talked to one of the managers...he said he was trying to source some for someone else this morning and it showed as “out of stock — covid issues with manufacturer” so apparently there is some pandemic issue at rustoleum. He could not get an estimate on when they’ll receive any more due to that either. I have one can enroute now for the parts I’ve cleaned so far...hopefully it will be enough for now.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As Dennis said do not try to get the tubes turned down enough to get the pits out. The Headstock and Carriage will slide well enough over the pits that you really won't notice that they are there unless you are actually looking at them. The rust removal you have done and keeping rust from forming in the future is what you want now.

As for the paint I have seen store shelves get bare at times in the spray paint section over the last year. Covid reducing production may be one reason and graffiti may have been another. We have seen a bigger problem with that in this area over last year too. If you have gotten the bug on restoring Shopsmith Model 10's you might consider ordering a case of 6 and have them on hand. That way you can get your current project done. Remember restoring Shopsmiths can be habit forming.

_
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 737 times
_
These are five I had restored but not sold yet I had at the same time. The one in the back is my original restoration and I have kept it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 pm Remember restoring Shopsmiths can be habit forming.
I am beginning to see that...lol
These are five I had restored but not sold yet I had at the same time. The one in the back is my original restoration and I have kept it.

My goodness, those are beautiful!!

Quick question for y’all...I put a light coat of JPW on the way tubes before I read Dennis’ recommendation to use penetrol...will a wipe-down with denatured alcohol remove it so I can apply the penetrol so it can get into the pores well?
Last edited by jumpmaster on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would use mineral spirits to clean off the tubes. Never tried alcohol. It may work as well or better?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:53 pm I would use mineral spirits to clean off the tubes. Never tried alcohol. It may work as well or better?
Hmmmm....

I’m going to hit it with a few servings of denatured alcohol and put the penetrol on...

I’m so sick of going to the store for this stuff...lol. Guess I need mineral spirits to use after the penetrol...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The alcohol will likely also remove the surface penetrol.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm The alcohol will likely also remove the surface penetrol.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too...guessing that mineral spirits would be less likely to strip the penetrol off?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I simply have no idea. I believe penetrol is a petroleum based product. So is mineral spirits. so what ??? does it matter??? just use what you have.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝