Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 pm I simply have no idea. I believe penetrol is a petroleum based product. So is mineral spirits. so what ??? does it matter??? just use what you have.
The only reason I’m concerned is because I don’t want to remove the penetrol right after putting it on...I figure mineral spirits would be less likely to do that than denatured alcohol...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would let the penetrol 'dry' well before surface removal. Think days. Then dampened rag.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I would go with JPG said
I would let the penetrol 'dry' well before surface removal. Think days. Then dampened rag.
That should only clean it off the smooth surface and only damp not soaked rag.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:25 am I would let the penetrol 'dry' well before surface removal. Think days. Then dampened rag.
Yup. That’s how I do it.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Well, fortunately it’s like 90F here right now so should dry quickly.

And of course the local Lowe’s doesn’t have any quarts of mineral spirits so now I have to make YET ANOTHER SPECIAL TRIP to get it elsewhere. I cannot tell you how sick to death I am of having to drive around all over creation to find this stuff I need to get this done. Complete pain in the rear.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hey ! I said alcohol will likely work!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm Hey ! I said alcohol will likely work!
I’m sure it would clean it, but am afraid it will also remove the penetrol as it does that...

Am in no way at all frustrated with y’all — everyone has been very kind and helpful and I’m very grateful for that. I’m just astounded that every single thing I’ve tried to buy locally to do this isn’t available. It doesn’t make any sense and is really beginning to make me really angry at the situation here. lol
JPG wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:25 am I would let the penetrol 'dry' well before surface removal. Think days. Then dampened rag.
So.......how many days exactly do I need to wait here after I’ve put the penetrol on?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not until hell freezes over.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:49 pm Not until hell freezes over.
So like.....a couple days before that? lol
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

At least a couple.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝