Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by JPG »

50-50 acetone-atf likely will work better.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry to confuse you when I said,
One thing I noticed in your last post was the Headstock and the Quill Lock installed backwards. The handle should be on the front side.
I should have said

One thing I noticed in your last post on the Headstock is the Quill Lock installed backwards. The handle should be on the front/operators side.

That may have been clearer.

JPG is correct about the Carriage being mounted backwards. Also give JPG's recommendation of 50-50 Acetone & ATF a try for those stuck parts. The combination gets into parts and frees them better than other lubricants.

Right now don't worry too much about parts being mounted correctly. When putting things back together after cleaning and painting will be the time for that. The diagrams in the Owner's Manual will help with that. As always if you need help we are here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Thank you for that, Russ and to jpg for the suggestion on acetone and ATF to free up the parts so I can take it apart.

I’ve soaked a lot of the rust-caked parts in Evaporust and I can see what they are now...looks like I have a couple of arbors and a faceplate (maybe? About 3” dia. and about 5/16” thick with small holes around the circumference) to screw a larger wood piece on for turning...I think...

I found the cup center firmly rusted into the tailstock so will need to get that cleaned up too...

I’ll keep at it...will post questions as I have them...thank y’all..
Last edited by jumpmaster on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

7F120BD3-2721-4941-92F1-A764F4C4A4CD.jpeg
7F120BD3-2721-4941-92F1-A764F4C4A4CD.jpeg (221.35 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Here’s what I pulled out of the Evaporust today...I know I have a chuck key, a faceplate, some knobs, and a couple of arbors...not sure of the specifics on the arbors and knobs...

Found a stop collar and set screw too...

Anyone know offhand the hex nut size on the tailstock please? Neither of my adjustable wrenches open large enough and my 1-7/16” was a bit too large...and I don’t have any between that and around 1” so I’ll have to order something else to use to remove it...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Take good care of the brass threaded knob. You should have two of them.

oh. 1 1/4?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 pm Take good care of the brass threaded knob. You should have two of them.

oh. 1 1/4?
Unfortunately, it only came with this one unless the other one is still on the machine somewhere...I’ll go check...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC they are the main table height clamping knobs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

034C9922-ADD3-44D7-BA77-22F790FEE843.jpeg
034C9922-ADD3-44D7-BA77-22F790FEE843.jpeg (552.58 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Table stop knobs? Does the one spare brass threaded one go here where the arrow is pointing?

I don’t think I have the correct table rods...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Missing knob - check!

Why do you think the table posts are incorrect?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:29 pm Why do you think the table posts are incorrect?
One is quite a bit longer than the other one... I don’t know if they cut one of them down or what.

I’m at least the third owner, so do not know its history, unfortunately...

BTW, the carriage is able to move freely on the way tubes now...yay! Going to try to move the headstock later...Edit: headstock can now move freely as well!!!