Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:27 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:07 pm UNANSWERED? example?
JPG,

Well, I wasn't looking to call anyone out, but I guess I left the door open here when I brought it up. We all get busy, so there is no judgement here on my part, but it does get frustrating when posts get missed. I think sometimes there is just a sudden flurry of activity on another post that everyone is interested in so my reply on a less popular post gets missed. I have a bad memory and can't remember all of the unanswered queries I posted in the last year but here are 3 of them that I could find easily because my last post was left hanging. More often than not it was a post where I interjected a question and it fell through the cracks because of a flurry of other responses after mine (those are much harder to find on the forum). Sorry for taking the thread off-topic but thought it best to answer JPG's question here.

viewtopic.php?p=274078#p274078

viewtopic.php?p=274129#p274129

viewtopic.php?p=273495#p273495
Unanswered may be partially due to a quirk in the board software. There is a thread about this a long time ago and at that time JPG acknowledged it's existence. Bear with me here.

When I log on I am on the Board Index page. It shows me the topics with new posts. I click on a topic and it shows me threads with new posts. I click on a thread and then click on "first unread post". However if the new posts have rolled over to a new page it takes you to the new page and not the actual first new post on the previous page. It only seems to happen if the first new post is the last or maybe second last one on the previous page.

It still exists today even after the updates to the board software. It happened to me today with one of your posts. I saw a quote from you I had not read. Go back one page and there was your post.
Last edited by jsburger on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm Unanswered may be partially due to a quirk in the board software. There is a thread about this a long time ago and at that time JPG acknowledged it's existence. Bear with me here.

When I log on I am on the Board Index page. It shows me the topics with new posts. I click on a topic and it shows me threads with new posts. I click on a thread and then click on "first unread post". However if the new posts have rolled over to a new page it takes you to the new page and not the actual first post on the previous page. It only seems to happen if the first new post is the last or maybe second last one on the previous page.

It still exists today even after the updates to the board software. It happened to me today with one of your posts. I saw a quote from you I had not read. Go back one page and there was your post.
Thanks John. Yeah, I think this could certainly be a part of it. I know some members have different ways they view the forum as well so this could be a factor. I know I missed one or two interesting posts awhile back because I was leaning on the "New Posts" function and didn't realize it would time out after so many hours. It was a fluke that I found the posts I missed at the time. It also just seems like some of the "regular" members don't respond much the last 6 months. There used to be more discussion on the forum before on various topics. Until this week, I have been pulling back more and more from posting here because too often it feels like a one way communication. It is disheartening to put the time and energy into a thoughtful and hopefully helpful post sometimes and get no response after it. Also, I know part of this is because we had a forum glitch with accepting new members for awhile...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

As I said to you with the other issue you had a while back don't give up hope. You're posts are always welcome, informative and very well thought out. In life we all need to stay positive. Negativism is what is wrong today.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since I use "unread post" quick link I do not think I miss much. No time restriction there.

If I may redirect the 'gripe'; one thing that irks me is lack of feedback when WE(more than one responder) suggest possible causes/solutions and the member requesting assistance falls off the planet and never acknowledges success or lack of it. That feedback would have allowed US to evaluate the effectiveness of our responses for future questions.

"Negativism is what is wrong today." Does that mean when two negatives are in one sentence that sentence becomes a positive statement?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:45 pm As I said to you with the other issue you had a while back don't give up hope. You're posts are always welcome, informative and very well thought out. In life we all need to stay positive. Negativism is what is wrong today.
Thanks John. I really appreciate your kind words and feel the same about all of you "regulars" on the forum (not a criticism of new members - just that I know the regulars well now). I know I have disagreed strongly, at times, on this forum, but I always tried to remain respectful and tried to be constructive in my feedback. If at any time I fell short, I do apologize. This is what I have enjoyed about this forum, besides the content, is that it is almost always a civil discussion here. I don't do much online and tend to loathe social media, even though I am on a couple of non-FB platforms. Sorry for the negativity today, but the limited time that I spend online has left me hollow this year so I have started cutting back online. Perhaps too much angst out there from what happened to the world last year.
JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm "Negativism is what is wrong today." Does that mean when two negatives are in one sentence that sentence becomes a positive statement?
Thanks JPG. Love it!
:)
JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm If I may redirect the 'gripe'; one thing that irks me is lack of feedback when WE(more than one responder) suggest possible causes/solutions and the member requesting assistance falls off the planet and never acknowledges success or lack of it. That feedback would have allowed US to evaluate the effectiveness of our responses for future questions.
Yeah, I agree. It is often a thankless job. I don't understand either why members, particularly, new members, don't sign back in to thank and let the forum know when a solution works. My hat is off to those of you who have done this tirelessly for many years here.
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm Since I use "unread post" quick link I do not think I miss much. No time restriction there.

If I may redirect the 'gripe'; one thing that irks me is lack of feedback when WE(more than one responder) suggest possible causes/solutions and the member requesting assistance falls off the planet and never acknowledges success or lack of it. That feedback would have allowed US to evaluate the effectiveness of our responses for future questions.

"Negativism is what is wrong today." Does that mean when two negatives are in one sentence that sentence becomes a positive statement?
Paragraph 1: Very true. But, that was not my point.

Paragraph 2: :D :D :D :D :D If you are talking about different results in math then maybe.
Subtracting, adding and multiplying give different results depending on the sign.

In an English sentence I don't believe there is a rule and should not be.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So how positive is "You ain"t got no larning"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:22 pm So how positive is "You ain"t got no larning"?
Is that supposed to be two negatives in one sentence? :) It certainly doesn't make a positive in my mind. Of course if you have a good mother that can help there may be some hope to turn the two negatives around.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think it is correct, the one is used as the noun the other as a descriptor?? However no no is never taken to mean yes so far as I know. The no no is often used by parents with little effect either way on the children.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RF Guy: RE unanswered example:

Late reply, but those 'unanswered' questions were quite narrow and it is likely no one HAS an answer. There are times when PM's are the better approach, but that is far from perfect also(easy to miss completely).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝