Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by rpd »

jumpmaster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:04 pm
What type of center would you recommend for making thinks like wooden fids and thimbles? I can post pics if y’all aren’t familiar with those...the fids are basically wooden spikes used to splice rope and the thimbles are small ferrules used in nautical rigging...
From the pictures these look to be basic spindle turnings, and I suspect you will want to do a batch of the thimbles. A scroll chuck is not necessarily the best tool for the job. :)

There is a good section on lathe turning using the 10E/ER in the first edition of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone.
A digital copy that has been restored and enhanced by Everett Davis, is available on line.
in the link, on the first post click on the red "My Google Drive" , click on the folder PTWFE 10ER 1953
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16113

Here is a youtube video on turning a fid, He has used a chuck, but it could be done between centers. The final cut on the handle end would need to be sawed off.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11C9a8z5TE[/youtube]

For the thimbles, i would suggest boring the hole first in a length of wood, then turning between a drive center and a live center with a cone end on the tailstock. You should be able to turn and part off a few thimbles from each blank.

Then make a jam chuck (just a piece of scrap wood that has been turned the bore of the thimble with fit snugly on it) it could be fitted on a face plate, or mounted on a screw center (B ) or mounted directly on the spindle (A) for finishing.

This page is from the PTWFE book referenced above.
jamchuck.jpg
jamchuck.jpg (305.24 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:48 am Jumpmaster,

John and JPG were only trying to help...
No. The jsburger POS was being a facetious little b****. I’ve been communicating over networks since 1978 — I fully understand what you were trying to say about communicating through text. There is no excuse for a******s like this jsburger guy flippantly replying, “derp-de-derp......lOtS oF tUrNiNg ViDoEs On YoUtUbE!!!!” He did that solely to act like a little b**** and he deserves to be called out on it instead of having it excused as “not understanding” — I understand PERFECTLY his intent. That’s why the ****** is on my block list now. I only hope he smarts off to someone like that in real life so they will punch his teeth out of his face for him.

And I’m not trying to make a captive ring or just any old random “ring-shaped” piece of wood — I’m trying to make (exactly) the wood thimbles I posted pictures of...exactly as they look in the pics with interior and exterior radii cut/rounded over. I’ve searched incessantly for videos showing how to do that....how to actually HOLD the piece for doing the inner radiusing, and haven’t found any. Guess I’ll try the jam chuck thing. Hope it doesn’t fly out and shatter my faceshield.

And I’ve seen that guy’s fid turning video...like a hundred times. Only one I’ve found. Oh well.
Last edited by jumpmaster on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:32 am i.e. it isn't much fun to ask someone a question and it never get answered.
Or to ask a legitimate question that folks on here could actually help with and get “YOUTUBE” by some unhelpful, instead.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Expletives (even cleverly disguised expletives) are equally inappropriate and unwanted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have issued a warning to the offending user. I've not done this before but I hope it gets his attention and gets over the as dusty says "Expletives (even cleverly disguised expletives) are equally inappropriate and unwanted."

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:10 pm I have issued a warning to the offending user. I've not done this before but I hope it gets his attention and gets over the as dusty says "Expletives (even cleverly disguised expletives) are equally inappropriate and unwanted."

Ed
Ed: What you have done is appropriate but there are others who should have a flag thrown at their feet as well. This forum is intended to to be a source of assistance to those who need it and request it no matter the nature of the request.

John: How about just providing a link or two to those readily available videos. That would be easy, right.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:36 pm
reible wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:10 pm I have issued a warning to the offending user. I've not done this before but I hope it gets his attention and gets over the as dusty says "Expletives (even cleverly disguised expletives) are equally inappropriate and unwanted."

Ed
Ed: What you have done is appropriate but there are others who should have a flag thrown at their feet as well. This forum is intended to to be a source of assistance to those who need it and request it no matter the nature of the request.

John: How about just providing a link or two to those readily available videos. That would be easy, right.
Yes, I agree I should have done that.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jumpmaster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 pm And I’m not trying to make a captive ring or just any old random “ring-shaped” piece of wood — I’m trying to make (exactly) the wood thimbles I posted pictures of...exactly as they look in the pics with interior and exterior radii cut/rounded over. I’ve searched incessantly for videos showing how to do that....how to actually HOLD the piece for doing the inner radiusing, and haven’t found any. Guess I’ll try the jam chuck thing. Hope it doesn’t fly out and shatter my faceshield.
Jumpmaster,

Well, I tried to defuse the situation a bit and help you. I was just trying to point out that some people keep their replies short online so what you interpreted as an offensive comment may have been misinterpreted. That is why I tend to over-communicate online to try to get my point across and attempt to make it clear, but some think my posts are too verbose (especially those who do everything online via smartphone). It appears that what you intend to make is a wooden "thimble" which is most common to sailing applications, I believe. If you just need one, then my suggestion would have worked, but would be more wasteful. Ron is far more skilled at woodturning than myself and gave an excellent explanation for how to make multiple thimbles from a single spindle blank. Please keep in mind that you are asking about a highly specialized (unique) item so you may not find ANY YouTube videos that cover it. Making bowls, salt/pepper mills, etc., etc. are easy to find tutorials for online, but you are making an unusual item IMHO. Lastly, keep in mind that you are fixing up/restoring a 75+ year old piece of machinery. I don't know the exact numbers manufactured, but I think it is only in the thousands of units. Many rust out and are tossed unfortunately, but there are some woodworkers who covet this machine and seek to restore them. Several of whom you have already been receiving help from on this thread. It isn't like you can just jump to another forum out there to get help on your 10ER so I am baffled by your emotional outbursts here. In other words, this is a niche machine, hence there is only a small online community that offers support for it (free of charge).
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

UNANSWERED? example?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:07 pm UNANSWERED? example?
JPG,

Well, I wasn't looking to call anyone out, but I guess I left the door open here when I brought it up. We all get busy, so there is no judgement here on my part, but it does get frustrating when posts are missed. I think sometimes there is just a sudden flurry of activity on another post that everyone is interested in so my reply on a less popular post gets missed. I have a bad memory and can't remember all of the unanswered queries I posted in the last year but here are 3 of them that I could find easily because my last post was left hanging. More often than not it was a post where I interjected a question and it fell through the cracks because of a flurry of other responses after mine (those are much harder to find on the forum). Sorry for taking the thread off-topic but thought it best to answer JPG's question here.

viewtopic.php?p=274078#p274078

viewtopic.php?p=274129#p274129

viewtopic.php?p=273495#p273495
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor