Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by JPG »

It would be good if that anvil had a hole in it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm It would be good if that anvil had a hole in it.
It does, but sadly not large enough for the cup center...about 15 pounds, so pretty small...
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

I just tried again for about a half hour...that thing isn’t budging. :(
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Hi, Russ...you mentioned not seeing a table riser arm... I looked it up and do have one...it has a set screw in it at the moment instead of that small knob. I don’t have any other small knobs to replace the set screw, so I’ll need to try to source one...
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

WOW, I can't believe the Lathe Center is that stuck in the Tailstock's Floating Center. Leaving it that way would still be okay since it doesn't interfere with the use of the Extension Table. It would simply be there all the time.

It was just the knob for the Table Raising Arm I had not seen. The set screw will work okay but will mark up/indent the Table Post over time especially if it is a cup center set screw. That is not a good thing for the table post. Get a flat faced set screw or a replacement knob to avoid that. Again the knob has a brass threaded stud like the locks for the table posts in the carriage. The brass ones will lock better than steel without marring the posts.

I was thinking after my previous post about the Table Post length. First is the longer post 13" and is the shorter post 6"? I ask because in your pictures I saw the Lathe Tool Rest and Arm but not the post. The Post for the Lathe Tool Rest Assembly is 6" long and of course the same diameter as the Table Posts. There is a collar that goes on the lathe tool rest post which you have and was in the picture with the knobs.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Yes, one is short and one is long (table posts)...but if you look in the picture of the cleaned up parts, that steel rod is there too...the tool rest can fit on one end of that rod...not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to go though...

I’ll try to find the proper knob for the handle...
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I wasn't sure about the diameter or length of the rod in the picture with the knobs. Below is the Arm, Post and Collar without the 8" tool rest. It is the later version of the arm so a little different than yours.

_
Lathe Arm and Post 105-2 V2 view 2.jpg
Lathe Arm and Post 105-2 V2 view 2.jpg (178.11 KiB) Viewed 606 times
_
Anyway you still need to have two 13" long table posts. There isn't really anything special about the table posts so you could buy a piece of rod stock to make a replacement. Something to note it does not even have to be solid rod since late in production the Model 10ER had hollow posts. Just make sure the post stock is rigid enough.

If you list where you are located someone close to you may have needed parts and could help you out.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Ok, I’ll keep that in mind...may just order a rod from mcmaster.com

So I had loads of fun today...lol. I took the motor to get rewired...I’m ok with DC stuff, but I leave the AC stuff to the professionals. Please don’t burn me at the stake — I understand I could probably figure it out ok, but I just don’t want to mess with it and want it to be right/safe. Plus I don’t really want to mess with trying to test the startup cap in there. No thank you.

So in the process of doing that, we took the switch off the headstock which means I can disassemble the headstock now. I pray to the Good Lord I’ll be able to put it back together. I really want to get everything rust-free, clean/repack the bearings if y’all think I should, etc. I’ve read of the dangers/difficulty of retensioning the quill spring...

I think there are wedges in there for the quill lock, but the lock handle does just flop around in there until you push it through the casting and put the nut on the outside...so I still need to figure out what’s going on with that.

I got the casting off the far end of the way tubes and am hitting them hard with brass brush, wd-40, and scotchbrite.

The end that pivots, I’m trying to get the way tubes out of there and get the carriage off so I can clean it up too. I’m trying tapping the table rods out of the carriage (the lock knobs have already been removed) and it’s soaking in PB blaster now...

The cup center is still stuck. Other than soaking in acetone/atf, I’m not sure what else to try...

I’d love to put the way tubes into some PVC pipes to soak in evaporust...I guess that would be the fastest way to get all the rust off...
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In the last post you mentioned
clean/repack the bearings if y’all think I should
There are two sets of 2 bearings. 2 for the Drive Sleeve and 2 for the Quill. All are sealed bearings so if they are bad they need to be replaced.
Russ

Mark V 520
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm In the last post you mentioned
clean/repack the bearings if y’all think I should
There are two sets of 2 bearings. 2 for the Drive Sleeve and 2 for the Quill. All are sealed bearings so if they are bad they need to be replaced.
I cannot feel or hear any problems with the bearings yet, but haven’t tried spinning it with the motor...

I’m located in College Station, TX, btw...

I got a pulley from a guy that told me it was the headstock pulley, but...1) it doesn’t fit on the headstock drive shaft and 2) it’s keyed. I believe you told me before that only the motor pulley is keyed, correct?

Made more progress today and am now completely worn out...lol

1. Got motor to the shop for rewiring
2. Got headstock off the ways
3. Got the carriage off the ways
4. Got the ways off the baseplate
5. Got the tie bar removed and brass wire brushed
6. Got the rods out of the carriage — took ***forever*** because one rod had apparently been beaten on before because the very edge was just proud of the hole it was in, so I had to file the edges down (bit of a chamfer) to get the rod out...the short rod was a PITA as well, but it’s out now. What size exactly should these rods be? I think I will be ordering new ones as these are quite soft and have gouges in them
7. Got the heavy aluminum table cleaned and getting that back together to receive the pivot / baseplate and headrest

Whew!!!!! I’m beat...it was 85F here today...still 82F now at 17:45...
Last edited by jumpmaster on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.