Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by jumpmaster »

Thank you jpg and Russ...There is a key slot cut into the casting, so I think I would need the keyed handle/wedges.

Also, the handle does just flop around in there until it comes out the other side of the casting...

I will continue to disassemble and see what’s going on in there.

Thanks again...
Last edited by jumpmaster on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Looking back at a couple things we haven't clarified yet. The Table posts should be 13" long. Hopefully one of the two you have is that long. It does seem odd that someone would cut off one of them.

I was looking back at the picture you posted after cleaning up some parts. I have reposted it below. The round item, in the lower right corner, may be a lathe faceplate but not a Shopsmith one. To be useable it needs a 5/8" diameter bore with a set screw to attach it to the spindle. There is one arbor as noted that is not a Shopsmith arbor. It is the 1/2" threaded arbor with 2 set screws. It can still be used if it has a 5/8" bore to go on the spindle.

_
jumpmaster accessories.jpeg
jumpmaster accessories.jpeg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 633 times
_
After so many years non-Shopsmith parts/items commonly get mixed in with a Shopsmith Tool. Sometimes because they were being used on the Shopsmith or simply because they look like they could belong to the Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Understood...I will try to sort out the correct parts...right now, I’m working with the knobs...the brass threaded one went in the other carriage stop...still need to locate the other three...trying to match them up with the exploded diagram...

Also, should be able to tap out the cup center this afternoon...
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The 4 Knobs shown in you picture above are -
upper left - either the Headrest or Base Plate (lock for Drill Press Position) They are nearly the same although the Base Plate one is usually beveled on the end of the threads. This is to avoid damaging the end of the threads when screwing into the Arm of the Base Assembly.
lower left - is the Carriage Knob for locking the table height and there are 2.
upper right - is for locking the Extension Table Bracket to the Tailstock.
lower right - is for locking the Tailstock to the Shopsmith.

A knob I haven't seen in your pictures is the Table Riser Knob which locks the Table Riser Arm to the Table Post. The knob itself looks similar to the rear fence lock knob but has a brass threaded stud.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

I cannot get the cup center out of the tailstock. I soaked it in evaporust and it appears completely clean now, but I cannot get it out with brass drift and hammer.

Will have to try to get some ATF and mix up the acetone stuff I guess. If I can get the large hex nuts loose on it, it should come out also, right?
Attachments
F69AE5D0-F303-429F-848C-2664B239322F.jpeg
F69AE5D0-F303-429F-848C-2664B239322F.jpeg (619.71 KiB) Viewed 615 times
9F68F239-4C2A-481C-8DF3-D0A734DDD382.jpeg
9F68F239-4C2A-481C-8DF3-D0A734DDD382.jpeg (697.92 KiB) Viewed 615 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you remove the nut on the floating center it will come right out. I use large adjustable Crescent Wrenches for that. I would remove the center first. Tapping the back side should have knocked it loose already. It is a standard #2 Morse Taper Lathe Dead Center and only friction fits in the tailstock. Do use caution "knocking" it out and have something, and not a hand or other body part, to catch it to avoid damaging the point.
Russ

Mark V 520
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

I mean, I’m using a brass drift and hammer hitting it pretty hard...do I just really need to knock the living **** out of it? I will make sure it lands on a soft surface.

Should I be hitting the center part only? Or the entire diameter just shy of the nut?

I have two crescent type adjustable wrenches, but neither opens large enough to grip these. :(
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hit only the inside part where the red arrow is pointing to. I shouldn't take a lot of force

_
jumpmaster tailstock.jpeg
jumpmaster tailstock.jpeg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hit the center only(that is the part being removed). See pix above.

Have the hex shaped part on the opposite side fixed(stationary/against an anvil like thingie[large mass]).

Simultaneous rotating force to the tailstock using a rod through the hole MAY help.

YES banging the crap out of it MAY be required. Sneak op on the big bang gradually.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Ok, got it...have a small anvil I will try bracing it with and will hit center part only. Thanks, fellas...