Strip Sander wheel and bearing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Strip Sander wheel and bearing

Post by DLB »

Very nice Ed. How much do you intend to cut the tubes for this sanding shorty? Will it have a main table? Do you intend to mount anything to the Strip Sander at the traditional drive shaft location?

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm Very nice Ed. How much do you intend to cut the tubes for this sanding shorty? Will it have a main table? Do you intend to mount anything to the Strip Sander at the traditional drive shaft location?

- David
Still need to measure again with the Strip Sander on the right side and the belt sander on the left. I hope to get at least 12" now. I could mount a drum sander on the unused side of the Strip Sander, the same option is available for the Belt Sander. I'm leaving room for a 500 table right now, but if it still seems too wide I might reduce the size of that table. I have a couple of extra 500 table tops, I could make an open rectangular cut out on one so it can overlap a sanding disk.

Before I cut any real tubes I think I'll pick up some EMT conduit to test it out.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Here is the water pump bearing I used, available on eBay:
885586 Integral Shaft Water Pump Bearing $21.18 with free shipping

From the Noisy 1991 Bandsaw thread
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not think flats are necessary. Maybe a small one for a cup set screw to bear against thus not marring the od of the shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm I do not think flats are necessary. Maybe a small one for a cup set screw to bear against thus not marring the od of the shaft.
Good idea. I'll try grinding across the shaft just wide enough for the set screw. It certainly doesn't need a full flat.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ok, so re-assembled the Strip Sander (except for the table) and mounted it on the right side of a machine. There is no hole in the door yet for the shaft to extend through so the door is just open. I put in a belt and can run it, the belt tracks, everything seems fine so far.

I ground a flat into the left side of the shaft to mount a hub as close to the drive wheel as possible because there's no bearing supporting the shaft on that side. I'll have to work out the exactly where to locate the hub.

One might think the shaft would line up right in the middle of the Shopsmith label on the lower part of the door, but it doesn't. It's near the edge of that circular indentation at the 2 o'clock position. I may have to cut out that whole circular indentation to work out a clean hole for the coupler to pass through.

This is the proof of concept. I have to clean some the parts still, mount the table, and work out that hole in the door, but I'm pleased with what I did so far. Rarely do things work out this well. I tried to post all this before, but it disappeared on me. Keep an eye out for a similar post in some other thread.

right side 2.jpg
right side 2.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm Very nice Ed. How much do you intend to cut the tubes for this sanding shorty? Will it have a main table? Do you intend to mount anything to the Strip Sander at the traditional drive shaft location?

- David
Responding again now that I had a chance to set it up and measure. WIth the Strip Sander on the right, the Belt Sander on the left, and a 500 main table mounted I can cut off at least 12". The main table could run into the Strip Sander table at it's height, but that height is unlikely to be used with a sanding disk, and certainly too high for a drum. The dust collector port for the Strip Sander sticks out the left side of the sander and could interfere slightly with the main table at a much lower table height. Ignoring those two unlikely problems I can take 14" off the tubes. I still have the option of reducing the main table size and could remove at least another 2" simply by cutting a 500 table, more from making a custom table top.

If I want to use the disk sander on anything of substantial size I can always remove the Strip Sander. It is very light compared to the Belt Sander so that is another advantage to mounting it on the right side. I suppose I could also use those funny offset SPT tubes for the bandsaw to shift the Strip Sander to the right and pick up another inch of space for the main table, but that wouldn't reduce the overall footprint.

Finally, it's not all that practical to mount anything on the Strip Sander at the traditional drive shaft location (the right side of the sander) because the sander's table overhangs that shaft. Something like a drum sander underneath will be hard to reach and too close to the table adjustment handle. I need to find something like the cap on the unused shaft for the Belt Sander for safety.
Ed from Rhode Island