Intermittent Bandsaw Noise

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CocoBoloRPV
Bronze Member

Intermittent Bandsaw Noise

Post by CocoBoloRPV »

Hello

My trusty 30 year old Shopsmith Bandsaw started making an intermittent noise a few months ago. Sounds like woo - woowoo - woo.....woowoo - woo. (It's not the once-per-loop whump-whump-whump noise that I've read about in another post.) It happens with all blades narrower than 1/2", but not the 1/2' wide blade. I cleaned and serviced all bearings, including the needle bearings inside the upper wheel hub. I spoke with Tech Support and was advised that my bearings must be worn out and I should buy a new wheel. I did so and installed it but that didn't fix the problem.

Has anyone ever had this problem before or have advice to share? If so, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you,
Allyson
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Intermittent Bandsaw Noise

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

When I try to “hear” that sound based on your description, I’m suspecting some sort of resonance. Does changing the blade tension affect it?

This is probably a dumb question, but are you retracting the guide blocks back behind the blade gullets when you install the narrow blades? And are the blocks in good condition?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I suspect 1) backup bearing(s), 2) upper tracking bearing (right side), 3) lower tracking bearing (also right side).

The lower tracking bearing is least suspect because it should spin only when you are cutting. If properly setup, the blade does not contact the bearings unless cutting.

I suspect the backup bearing first because that has been my experience.

Do you hear anything abnormal (similar to your stated observations) with power applied and no blade installed (lower wheel only spinning).

Spin the upper wheel by hand. Do you hear anything abnormal.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:47 am I suspect 1) backup bearing(s), 2) upper tracking bearing (right side), 3) lower tracking bearing (also right side).

The lower tracking bearing is least suspect because it should spin only when you are cutting. If properly setup, the blade does not contact the bearings unless cutting.

I suspect the backup bearing first because that has been my experience.

Do you hear anything abnormal (similar to your stated observations) with power applied and no blade installed (lower wheel only spinning).

Spin the upper wheel by hand. Do you hear anything abnormal.
I agree. "woo - woowoo - woo.....woowoo - woo" is the exact sound made when the blade is intermittently contacting a bearing. If not exact then pretty close.

A 30 year young bandsaw would have bearings and not a bushings right? A worn bushing could sound like that I guess.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I determine if the noise is from the backup bearing (left side) by stopping it from spinning while the bandsaw is running. You can do this by very carefully reaching in behind the upper wheel and stopping the bearing spin.

NOT HARD TO DO BUT SOMEWHAT RISKY

When I find it necessary to do this, I get my fingers in place behind the bearing without power on the bandsaw and then apply power rather than reach in behind the spinning upper wheel.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A bit of pickiness. There is only one backup bearing that only contacts the back of the blade under cutting pressure.

There are two tracking bearings that the blade contacts continuously.

The backup bearing is behind the blade guides.

The tracking bearings are located just prior to the blade contacting the wheels.

Previously we have attributed 'squeal' to the blade slipping on the tracking bearings.

"wooo' wooo'"? I be having an issue understanding that. Could it be lower frequency squealing? Maybe bearing balls/race rattling?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 am A bit of pickiness. There is only one backup bearing that only contacts the back of the blade under cutting pressure.

Yes - there is only one backup bearing and it is located on the left side and contacts the blade continuously. This bearing is adjustable left to right and fixed front to back and properly referred to as the auto track bearings.

There are two tracking bearings that the blade contacts continuously.

I don't believe the two tracking bearings are contacted continuously. Only one and the other is contacted only when cutting (if setup correctly) These bearings are properly referred to as upper and lower blade guide bearings rather than tracking bearings.

The backup bearing is behind the blade guides.

On the left side???

The tracking bearings are located just prior to the blade contacting the wheels.

If I read you correctly - my bandsaw are both setup wrong and I doubt that. The upper bearing contacts the blade only if cutting and just after the blade comes off the upper wheel The lower bearing makes contact all of the time and contacts the blade at a point just after it comes off the upper wheel

Previously we have attributed 'squeal' to the blade slipping on the tracking bearings.

Yes, that has been an opinion but not unanimous.

"wooo' wooo'"? I be having an issue understanding that. Could it be lower frequency squealing? Maybe bearing balls/race rattling?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Can you try to isolate where the noise is coming from. There are 5 likely sources. 1 - the lower wheel bearing. 2 - the upper wheel bearing. 3 - the Auto-track Blade Guide. 4 - Upper Blade Guide. 5- Lower Blade Guide. For the Upper and Lower Blade Glides that would include the Roller Bearings and the Guide Blocks. One simple check would be to back out the guide blocks. That would leave only the bearings as a possibility.

Dusty said,
That is incorrect. See page 13 second paragraph under Adjusting the Roller Bearings of the current Manual at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf

Only the upper Blade Guide Bearing has intermittent contact with the blade in a properly aligned Bandsaw. Have you checked the alignment of your Bandsaw lately?

Dusty and JPG,

In the Upper and Lower Blade Guide assemblies the bearing is simply referred to as Roller Bearing in the current PDF parts lists and Back up Bearing in the Service parts. The one next to the Blade Tensioner is the Auto-track or Bandsaw Tension Bearing depending on which source you look at, Parts List PDF or Service Parts. It would help if they could keep the terminology the same.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It would also help if they named them accurately/consistently with their function.

Tracking bearings control the track of the blade as it nears contact with the revolving wheel. There is an upper(upper rear) and a lower (lower front>. Front/rear is right/left as seen from the operator.

There is only one backup bearing and it is above the table 'behind' the blade guides. The blade guides are fixed and are not a 'bearing'.

Third party hardware is different.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, you are absolutely correct. We all need to use proper terminology when discussing the various parts of our machines.

To that end I must make some corrections.

I have referred to the bearings on the left side of the wheels near the tension scale as a backup bearing when it is really the auto-track bearing. It is adjustable side to side only and is in constant contact with the blade. It serves the purpose of guiding the blade onto the upper wheel.

Now to the right side of the wheels.

Again, I must correct some of my terminology Below the table is located the Lower Blade Guide Roller Bearing. This roller bearing is fixed front to back while being adjustable left to right. This bearing guides the blade onto the lower wheel and is in constant contact with the blade if properly adjusted. Being fixed front to back, it serves to control how far back the blade can move.

Above the table will be found a very similar bearing that differs front the lower Blade Guide Roller Bearing in that it should contacts the blade only while cutting. Otherwise there should be about 1/64" gap between the bearing and the blade. To facilitate this, the bearing is adjustable both front to back and side to side.

For those who have been confused by my casual renaming of these component parts, I apologize.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty