How to paint the access badge?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

coldje
Silver Member

How to paint the access badge?

Post by coldje »

I've read a few threads in this section on headstock rebuilds. I'm still not sure how people are masking the letters when repainting the access badge.
My wife suggested a watercolor liquid called mask that can be removed after painting. Does anyone have experience painting the speed dial or access badge?
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: How to paint the access badge?

Post by nuhobby »

I had some where I dribbled on red Testors enamel (model paint), then I neatly swabbed the badge across a flat paper towel soaked with acetone. I believe it was Bill Mayo who had done it this way as well.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I painted the whole thing red and then sanded the letters by putting the badge on a piece of sandpaper to take the paint off the letters. Progress through 400 or 600 grit and it looked OK
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have sanded off the paint on similar logos found on Shopsmith/Magna tools like Bill V has done. I believe it is the way they are originally done at the factory.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.