A few questions about restoring a Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: A few questions about restoring a Mark V

Post by chapmanruss »

I is hard to tell from the picture if the Poly V belt is in proper alignment. If it doesn't look right to you, you should re-align it. Otherwise misalignment will cause the belt wear.

Keep in mind that while turning by hand you are moving all the drive parts including the motor so more effort is needed than simply turning individual parts. The Quill, Drive Sleeve, Idler Shaft and Motor should should all have been turning freely before they were reinstalled. If the Poly V belt is misaligned it may be harder to turn too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

I'm confused about all the grooves on the drive shaft. It it supposed to be in the middle or is it ok as long as it is fully on some grooves?

I'm not an expert at this. I have done it only once but I contend that the all is well when the belt is vertical to the upper pulley (spindle) no matter which grooves it is in. This would indicate proper alignment of the two pulleys while allowing for deviations in position elsewhere.

Why is your belt so much tighter than others???

Either your belt is shorter than others

OR

the physical placement of the other components is different.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The belt belongs two grooves back from where it currently is.

Note the color difference in the grooves of the drive sleeve pulley.

By positioning the eccentric 'slot' at 06:00 there should be sufficient belt slack to move the belt back two grooves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

Fixed it by rolling a strip of aluminum can between the belt and those grooves, then pulling it sideways. Even at 6 o'clock my belt was pretty tight and didn't want to move otherwise. Very happy I didn't have to take everything apart again since, because the belt started out tight, getting that part put together was very difficult to begin with.

And I'm immediately glad I did move it over. Above I mentioned everything felt a little tight when trying to turn it by hand, it all spins *much* easier now.
PXL_20210507_225424693.jpeg
PXL_20210507_225424693.jpeg (353.51 KiB) Viewed 933 times
PXL_20210507_225603883.jpeg
PXL_20210507_225603883.jpeg (429.12 KiB) Viewed 933 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

GREAT solution on moving the belt.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:57 pm GREAT solution on moving the belt.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange