Sad how bad some machines were treated

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Sad how bad some machines were treated

Post by everettdavis »

I know that so often I find Lazarus candidates being sold after years of neglect. It’s like they purposely find a leaky spot for their ancestors prize possession and tell it Rust in Peace.

I try as often as I can to bring them back. Really solid machines with some ALC. Aggressive Loving Care.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Sad how bad some machines were treated

Post by chapmanruss »

Very sad.

_
1.jpg
1.jpg (219.43 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

For some reason this Model 10 hasn't sold for almost a year.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:32 pm For some reason this Model 10 hasn't sold for almost a year.
Gee and they only have light surface rust. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I see rusting Shopsmiths come up from time to time on CL with something like. . ."my dad's old shopsmith. . .I never learned to use it and just need it gone." It is that statement that saddens me. A father who didn't care enough to teach his son or a son who didn't care enough to want to learn; perhaps neither was connected to the other. It's the story behind that rusting SS that saddens me. I've gone through my equipment, cleaned, aligned, sharpened, lubricated and polished everything because it's about time to pass it all to someone who will use it for the next 30 years.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Like it or not, we need to accept that some machines have been abused so badly that they can't be saved. Those people who won't keep them indoors in a clean environment just destroy the machine so you don't want it anymore. It can easily be more work and cost to rebuild it into working condition than it is worth.
On the other side of the fence, you don't want a used machine previously owned by a tinkerer. These are the ones that, "What is this part? I took it apart so long ago that I can't remember what it is or where it goes." Or, "I broke and lost these parts taking it apart and trying to put it together so it doesn't work anymore. Where can I get new parts?" These machines are what is called in the car restoration circles, "Basket Cases". They are great as parts, but not as a usable machine.
It is a cruel world out there for machines that aren't cared for or used properly.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It is sad to see any piece of machinery or tool get abused and/or fall into dis-repair. Not every one of them will survive and that is just life unfortunately. One factor that I think affects it is just the personality of the owner. My Dad raised me to honor and respect every tool, so I do the same. My father-in-law on the other hand would leave hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.) sitting outside overnight (to rust) while he worked on a project. Tools would get lost for him as well. Maybe he had a bit of ADHD in him that caused this or maybe he just didn't have anyone to mentor him on how to care for tools when he was young. Just saying that maybe some owners prefer the use & abuse & discard it mentality when it comes to tools, but some of us are the opposite. It could just be a personality difference in owners and will always be this way.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor