Rusty 610 Jigsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

Re: Rusty 610 Jigsaw

Post by eagspoo »

About replacement oil, I found a couple threads discussing the issue that non detergent SAE 10 is hard to come by (I also couldn't find any) and people were recommending non-detergent compressor oil as the way to go. I did find a few options but the one I found that can be shipped is this synthetic option

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZBNQ9W

Seem ok?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

eagspoo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:59 am About replacement oil, I found a couple threads discussing the issue that non detergent SAE 10 is hard to come by (I also couldn't find any) and people were recommending non-detergent compressor oil as the way to go. I did find a few options but the one I found that can be shipped is this synthetic option

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZBNQ9W

Seem ok?
Do not look for 'motor' oil.

Look for machine oil.

You cannot find "3 in one" oil?

I would think "mineral oil" is easy to find. That would be my choice for an alternative.

"HI Viscosity" is not a desirable attribute.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DOWeaver
Gold Member

Post by DOWeaver »

Others will tell if they don't like " Zoom Spout oil" I think it checks all the boxes. It is sewing machine oil 10 w , and has a long tube in the bottle, so makes easy to reach hard area. It can be a little hard to find ,Look in the sewing and fabric areas Wal-Mart. It comes in 4oz packages. and can be bought in six packs. Good Luck with the rest of your build. Look forward to seeing when done.. dow indy
"
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

I’m working over the air blower on my SS 610 jigsaw per Shoptimusprime post below & need a little info. I have the 1” ID blower tube with attached blower assembly out & square shaft & spring removed.

How do I remove the pin to access the nylon ball bearings? The pin is only exposed on one end so I can’t drive it through.

Thanks!
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Figured it out while waiting for admins to approve my first post. What I thought was a pin was a rubber plug. Found & pushed in the two metal pins on each side of the 1” cylinder releasing the head assembly. Lots of dust crud inside which may explain the previous lack of air, but no nylon BB’s. Perhaps previous owner of my 1965 vintage jigsaw lost them or older saws didn’t have them. Anyone know? This one looks like it will blow both out and in now that I’ve got it cleaned out & lubed.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That missing ball serves as a valve so it only blows. Need to replace it with something(it is (IIRC) larger than a BB)0.177")
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Thanks JPG. Is there just one ball? Shoptimusprime's post mentioned two. Where does the ball go? The air appears to flow down through an 1/8" slot in the round pump fitting that slides up into the 1" tube. From there it goes into a wide empty chamber between the two halves of the pump assembly, then out through a 1/4" hole on the far end of the chamber at the back side of the air tube fitting. Am I missing a basket type piece that would hold the ball under the base of the 1/8" slot so that the upstroke would suck it back up against the hole at the bottom of the slot?
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm thinking I should make a detailed write-up on this subject with pictures and performance measurement before and after. Yes, there are two tiny nylon balls that are inside the cast aluminium parts that are held together at the bottom of the 1" tube. They form a one way check valve during normal operation. The one I disassembled was completely fouled up and everywhere from the intake side through the assembly to the exhaust side was packed with dries out grease/oil and stuff..
After you find the metal pin near the cast pieces carefully use a punch to drive it out and slide out the assembly. The two pieces will be stuck together with the leather washer between them. The nylon balls WILL try and escape if you are not careful at this step. I ended up taking some time and flattening these mating surfaces and filling the chip outs and casting flaws before making a new gasket and reassembling everything after a very thorough cleaning.

I hope this picture makes it in. This is the assembly where the nylon balls are inside. You should see one of them clearly at the intake port.
Attachments
58162.jpeg
58162.jpeg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Looking forward to the pictures. When I carefully separated the halves I couldn’t find any trace of balls or spring.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No springs - only back pressure and gravity.( I may have mispoke here!!!)

Also I now much think larger than a BB.(5/16"?)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝