Need help identifying the shop smith I just picked up

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

litgoat
Bronze Member

Need help identifying the shop smith I just picked up

Post by litgoat »

Hey guys, I’m having trouble identifying the exact year of the shop smith I picked up the serial number on it is 36959. It’s quite rusted, but the engine runs great and will restore it if I can. Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Need help identifying the shop smith I just picked up

Post by JPG »

Color? Pix!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

litgoat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:57 pm Hey guys, I’m having trouble identifying the exact year of the shop smith I picked up the serial number on it is 36959. It’s quite rusted, but the engine runs great and will restore it if I can. Thanks
The serial number indicates that it was built in 1979.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Or it might be a 10ER. Pictures will tell the story. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
litgoat
Bronze Member

Post by litgoat »

https://imgur.com/a/ujlda7m here are some pictures
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

litgoat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 pm https://imgur.com/a/ujlda7m here are some pictures
That is a Shopsmith Model 10. It was made in early to middle of 1950.

Welcome to the forum. That machine is not that bad. It should clean up fine. There are many people here to help you just ask.

Pictures are great and we love them but, please consider attaching them to your posts here and not a third party web site. That way they will always be available here. See this thread to learn how.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19246
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
litgoat
Bronze Member

Post by litgoat »

Will do, I just couldn’t figure out how to post it through the forum. Thank you very much for helping me
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John said it is a Shopsmith Model 10, actually 10ER and the serial number 36959 should have a prefix of ER which would have been made in the Eastern Plant or an R which would have been made in the Western Plant. It would have been made around 1950. The Belt Sander you show with it was made in the 1960's and you have the "B" adapter to use it on your Model 10ER. I see the Headstock pulley is the special one for using the Model 10ER to power the Belt Sander. This pulley is rather rare so be careful with it especially removing it from the Drive Sleeve so as not to damage it. They are hard to find and the only other option is to buy one made by a Shopsmith restorer at MKC Tools. Someone was creative and made bench ends for it using the Mark 5 retractable casters.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.